One dead, one missing (since found), 300 foot dive - Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I engage in risky behavior as a way of life and have the scars, plates and screws, to prove it. So what's your point?
I'm just pointing out where I think there are serious flaws in the support systems or lack thereof in what's called "tech" diving; if that sounds angry to you I can live with that.

I was "tech" diving during the 1970's What were you doing?

LOL... here you go.

..Sit back and wait for the facts to surface.
I'm guessing the unit's will go to NEDU like they do in Florida incidents and they take 6 - 8 weeks min. They don't publish reports but rather send it back to the county's M.E. and then it follows their protocol for release of info. In Florida, we have a very generous open records law that almost nothing can be held back (given enough time). But other states have different rules. Cali is one of the toughest states and almost zero gets released except a couple of general sentences.

I'm guessing the unit's will go to NEDU like they do in Florida incidents and they take 6 - 8 weeks min. They don't publish reports but rather send it back to the county's M.E. and then it follows their protocol for release of info. In Florida, we have a very generous open records law that almost nothing can be held back (given enough time). But other states have different rules. Cali is one of the toughest states and almost zero gets released except a couple of general sentences.
the units are not found yet to go anywhere.. NEDU hates doing the forensics on units, and does less than people seem to think they do, that is not their mandate

the units are not found yet to go anywhere.. NEDU hates doing the forensics on units, and does less than people seem to think they do, that is not their mandate

One is - the wife's. Or I'm assuming it is, since she surfaced.

That IMO rebreather technology is not ready for prime time yet.

The thing is, there is of course a higher incident rate with CCR than with OC, that's pretty easy math to do. What is hard to do is to say for any GIVEN dive if the risk is higher with CCR than with OC.

The reason why that's hard is that it's not clear how you would compare cohorts of OC and CCR dives, and see if the injury or fatality rate is higher with CCR for a cohort that is matched for profile. Since the average CCR diver is doing bigger dives than the average OC diver, you can't just compare the raw numbers.

Going forward, it's gong to be harder and harder to do that analysis, since fewer and fewer people doing VERY big dives are doing them on OC at all. So if you tell me that there was an accident on a 300 FSW dive in 2019, I'm also going to assume that it's a rebreather, but mainly because so many more people doing those dives are doing them on CCR. At some point, the amount of gas you need to carry with you becomes prohibitive.

I do agree with you about the need for surface support for "recreational" dives of this magnitude.

No? Did she surface without the unit?
Or did it sink while the crew recovered her?

I've had a bit of gear sink during rescues/recoveries. It happens.

I've had a bit of gear sink during rescues/recoveries. It happens.
Yeah, I had it happen during a rescue class. The entire scuba unit. Took four deco dives to find it in 70 ft of 2 ft viz quarry water. And that's a semi-controlled situation. Got to be even easier to lose something in real life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom