One dead, one missing (since found), 300 foot dive - Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wouldn't it be nice if there was reading comprehension? I posted the units weren't found to be examined, someone posted they assumed the unit of Sue was as she was recovered, I posted no.

Simple, sorry you found it obscure, it was neither uncertain nor hidden as far as a reply goes. It was direct.
And I then asked why is there no unit if she indeed surfaced? Did she surface without it? Or was it lost during her recovery aboard? Or what?

And I then asked why is there no unit if she indeed surfaced? Did she surface without it? Or was it lost during her recovery aboard? Or what?
I declined to answer. Hopefully the unit and missing diver will be recovered soon, one of the very best in the business is doing the search by ROV

I heard from someone familiar with the couple and the dive operator that they had 6 children some of them still teenagers. I've not independently verified that as I don't personally know either diver. If true, this accident is that much more tragic and horribly sad.
Indeed, it is heartbreaking.

so sad.

Along these same lines, what percentage of 300' dives are on OC compared to CC these days? Add in some filters for training dives and remove the commercial/military.

There are a few 300+ft dives around here (~5?)
There are also quite a lot of 130-210ft dives (150?)
There are not many in between (210-300 = 12ish?)

Nobody has done any diving in 210-300ft window on OC in many years (decade). There are a few entry level "hypoxic" classes run on OC (ie GUE Tech2) that do a couple dives in very benign conditions in the 210-250 range on 15/55. Occasionally someone does the TDI version of that class on OC. But post-class the number of 210+ dives being done annually on OC in the Seattle area you can probably count on your fingers and toes.

Vs probably a 4 to 12 - 200ft+ dives every weekend on CCR. Net for the >200ft stuff there are WAY more dives being done on CCR here. Probably 10 to 20x more dives at least.

The other thing that often gets forgotten in threads like this is that while CCR definitely adds risks that you have to be compulsive about managing, it also reduces risks for some types of dives. In any sort of physical overhead environment where navigation errors, siltouts, entrapment or entanglements are a problem, giving you the luxury of time can be a crucial advantage.

And that logistically you can now do a week of diving someplace that formerly fills were so scarce that you might only be able to do one or two dives before having to drive half a day for refills.

edit this doesn't up the risk except from the repetitive dive perspective. But its does vastly inflate the numbers of deep CCR dives vs deep OC dives. So when someone says there's a fatality on a 300ft dive it's almost a given that its on CCR nowadays.

I heard from someone familiar with the couple and the dive operator that they had 6 children some of them still teenagers. I've not independently verified that as I don't personally know either diver. If true, this accident is that much more tragic and horribly sad.

Seriously? That is horrible. I hope they have quality people around them. I don't even know what to say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom