One for the Manifold divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you bother banding independants? If I was diving like this then I'd use a diverite double mount or similar type connection to enable quick removal and replacement of cylinders and therefore enable quicker/easier sidemounting config. Also enables changing from different cylinder sizes easier (in summary a lot more flexible).

Am I missing something here, I know it's a personal choice but any reasons you have for doing it this way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Dave.

The main reason for independent doubles for me is diving solo, with multiple stages, where it's easier to keep 2 bottles on back than worry about so many bottles up front.
It's not as convenient as a manifold, but why put bottles on your back that you have to break down. I can see no logic in this at all. Sidemount if you want to pass one bottle through at a time.

Also, the only independents I have banded are PST 104's. These are horrible sidemount tanks.
If you are diving with a buddy that you trust completely all the time, then I wouldn't dive independents. If you are diving frequently with people you don't know, independents will never put you at their mercy. Read"YOUR RESERVE GAS WILL NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, SWIM AWAY!"
I like to dive with as many people as possible. Diving with people you don't know is a lot like solo diving. Lots of people say that you should only dive with someone you know and trust, but how do you get to know and trust people if you don't swim with them.
Good luck, dive with a buddy you trust , use a manifold, and be safe!
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom