One More Olympus Question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Should I go ahead and order an extra tube of silicon grease or wait? I'm getting an extra O-ring, I know that for sure, but should I wait on another tube of grease or go ahead and get it now (I guess I'm asking how long I should expect a tube to last)??

I'd go ahead and get an extra. It doesn't take very much of it and the very small tube with conceivably last a long time but what if it gets lost, or stepped on or whatever? It won't go bad and you'll have it on hand instead of having to order it because it's not something that you can pick up at your local store.

Some will say the you can use other brands of silicone grease and maybe you can. Lord knows I have enough of those yellow S&S tubes of grease! But I've always been one of those who follow the rules. I figure they must have a reason for it other than just a way to sell small tubes of grease!

I believe it states in the new guide to sea and sea, that the yellow tube with the blue cap is for the blue o-rings and the yellow tube with the black o-rings are for a different o-ring. It states that each are different and that each are not compatable with the other o-rings.

ahplee once bubbled...
I believe it states in the new guide to sea and sea, that the yellow tube with the blue cap is for the blue o-rings and the yellow tube with the black o-rings are for a different o-ring. It states that each are different and that each are not compatable with the other o-rings.

That's true for Sea & Sea O-rings. Some are blue, ie. door o-rings, and some are black, ie. battery caps, sync caps, on the same camera. But no one has been able to tell me exactly what the yellow o-rings on the Olympus PT-XX housings are made of and whether the blue capped grease is 100% safe for use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom