Online Diving Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Padi's website is currently running a survey about offering courses online. This can surely mean that this is very much in the pipeline.

As far as I am concerned, it is vital that diving is taught by people so as to be able to explain problems, answer questions and add the value of experience to learning. I am sure that I cannot be the only one that finds the concept of online learning of diving to be a very dangerous idea that can only serve to further lower the skill requirements and value of courses.

If you feel strongly on this subject, then please go to the web site and participate in the survey. If enough people express views maybe a difference can be made.

Many thanks,

DiverDave.

I agree completely with DiverDave on this one.

Online courses are ok for the basics to some degree...but then when you have a problem - you don't know whos on the other end of the computer giving you advise on the right procedure etc....it could be the instructors 5 yr old kid.

But then you have the same problem with their homestudy course.
Are you one of those homebodies who likes to learn in the comfort of your own home? Do you like to set your own pace and learn what you want when you want? PADI offers a variety of ways to cover scuba basics at home—which means you determine how fast or slow you want to become an Open Water Diver. Live the Undersea Adventure, PADI’s interactive, multimedia CD-ROM, guides you toward certification. Click through the program at home, then stop by your local PADI Dive Center or Resort to complete the rest your course.

What support do you actually get except when you go to the Dive Centre. Then you have to take into consideration that your instructor doesn't know how much of an understanding you have unless the student and instructor sit and talk it ALL through. Its a nightmare in itself!

Diverdave, could you please give me the webaddress. I just checked the site and couldnt find anything related to this.

Thanks -x-

Thanks for the web post, I took their survey and gave them "what for". I agree with all of you, I am against it! There is so much to diving that can only be taught while in class room environment with a live instructor!

Online or computer driven diving educational material can have a place in diver training and in continuing diver education. It isn’t a replacement for the good old traditional methods of teaching but if properly assembled could be an excellent enchantment to the standard instructional reading material.

A well designed hyperlinked e-book, either online or CD rom based, could greatly enhanced the experience and an online manual could be updated quicker and distributed much more economically while at the same time saving a tree or so. Instead of purchasing a paper book down load a chapter at a time and if you need a hard copy then go ahead a printout only the sections that are needed. Perhaps it’s just me but I very seldom carry any course material after completing a lesson.

Miles.

PADI continues to amaze me with now much they are willing to lower the bar. I am embarassed to to carry a PADI C-Card.

Needless to say, I provided a negative input to their survey.

If they keep lowering the Bar, someones gonna get seriously hurt or worst...die. I am certified through NAUI so I don't have much say on the PADI works however, I am against their proposal!

I haven't visiited the website yet, but it next onmy agenda.....What is the problem with taking the course on-line....?
Reading the manual doesn't require someone sitting there with you...I understand that you obviously have to have an instructor there for the in-water work...Remember you still have to do the assignments (knowledge reviews) and exam...The only foreseeable problem would be asking questions, however that can be done onthe website also....I do courses online all the time... and yes I appreciate that they do not involve potential life threatening situations but ..........

I have to agree with everyone else. It is one thing to read it, but to have someone explain it making sure you understand is always going to be best.

Strick got it right I'm afraid.
"Someones gonna get seriously hurt or worst...die"

Now to Padi to do the survey.

Mike M

It definetly would not be for everyone, that's were I have my reserves about it.
But just as many responsible adults "attend" college classes, and even get post-graduate degrees online, I think that the theory part could easily be done over the net. Albeit with maybe stricter or aditional testing, and a VERY available proctors to answer questions and/or clear concepts. I think it can be done.
It could work somewhat like the referal system, you take your theory at one place, and do your water somewhere else.
I am not aware of many details of PADI's proposal, and I am open to be change my opinion with better arguments, but just the general idea seems good.

Back
Top Bottom