Online Diving Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool! I can get a virtual C-card and do a virtual dive! I could eventually become a virtual intstructor. Boy PADI has all the answers. Does anyone know of a site where I can purchase on-line dive gear? I don't mean dive gear on-line but gear I can wear while sitting in front of my computer? Will I get bent if my computer is down stairs and I go upstairs to go to the bathroom too fast?

Scott:wink:

Scott - during on on-line dive course, you are required to make a 1 minute safety stop on the third step from the top of the stairs as you ascend. This should help you avoid getting 'bent' - however there are other factors that come into play here - such as the plushness of the carpet on the stairs (if any) which may affect your speed of ascent, etc. These rules and other guidleines will be covered in your PADI on-line course.

Thanks for clearing that up! I'm going to have to re-carpet the stairs though. Damn this sport is exspensive. Now I know why my ear hurt when I run down the stairs to answer the phone. Do you use a snorkel or keep the reg in your mouth when you are on the roof?

Scott:p

NAUI has long had CD based training that completely replaces the classroom, if desired.
SSI has a home-study option that eliminates most of the classroom time.
Both are proven and effective. Indeed, this kind of training can raise the bar rather than lower it in many cases.
In the one SSI "home study only" class I have run, there were four students; on the written there were 3 100% scores and 1 97%. Plenty of tables problems too. In the home-study course, I conduct about a 30 minute review of the required academics before each pool session rather than a formal 2.5hr lecture, so this saves some 10 - 12 hours of classroom time over the course.
On-line/CD/home study courses are ineffective, of course, with those who won't invest the time and effort required to do the work on their own, but properly done, they are as effective as classroom sessions - indeed, more effective for many.
A wise shop will offer both type courses, and a wise instructor will shift the home-study student that needs lectures to understand the material to the lecture course, and the "bored-to-tears" classroom student to the home-study course.
Rick

It sounds like a cookie cutter operation, but I bet it could generate some money. The question is, "Who wants to buddy with the graduates?"

I like it !!!

Next up will be on-line DRIVING courses, followed by on-line
firearms safety and hunting courses. No supervised practical application necessary ... just P(ut) A(nother) D(ollar) I(n) and
you are good-to-go.

I think it would be alright for supplemental or pre-course study but not as a direct replacement to hands on person to person training.

I agree with GP.

I think it would be OK if the online training was part of pre-course study. My PADI training required that I completely read a manual and view a video tape before starting any classroom training. I think it would be OK if there was an optional online version of the manual and video.

But, it would be very scary if any part of the real training was moved online. PADI's not that dumb...are they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom