Online Nitrox and SDA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geez... All you have to do is say, I promise not to go below 100 ft, and will program my computer to 32% oxygen.... Why should anyone care what card you carry?

How many nitrox users actually test their gas??

???????? :shakehead:

Hopefully all of them. Would you want to trust the dive shop with your life?

Geez... All you have to do is say, I promise not to go below 100 ft, and will program my computer to 32% oxygen.... Why should anyone care what card you carry?

EVERY TIME, when I pick up the tank and again just before I use it....

We had a gentleman come in just before the DEMA show with an SDA card he took online. Not having heard of them prior to that I was skeptical and like many of you could not easily locate them on the web. Reviewing the card they reference using the PADI stadards for their training. As a business owner I called PADI and V&B to determine what I should do in regards to risk management, the result was I could accept the card since he had proof of completing a course in the use of Nitrox. The were very unhappy however about their (PADI's) name being on that card and requested a copy of the card.

Since there was a great deal of casual conversation that could not be engaged in by the diver, I simply just walked him over to the fill station and reviewed the gas analysis / logging procedures, ensure he understood the concepts behind the use of nitrox and how to determine his ideal gas. Truly a case where customer looking for a bargain got caught and burnt by an angency that not only failed to deliver the minimum required information and skills but cant even use their own standards.

We as a responsible store will no longer accept any of their cards unless they go through a review with us confirming their knowledge and skill in the use of nitrox, of course they will have to pay for it but at least everyone involved, the customer, and ourselves will be sure the the diver understands the basis behind the use of nitrox. The unfortunate part, it may not be accepted elsewhere but at least they will be able to walk the walk and talk the talk if questioned about it.

Consumers should really be wary when it comes to online training, not that I am against it, I'm just against it when its courses are offered only online and they tout accepted by every major agency without merit.

Schott

???????? :shakehead:

Hopefully all of them. Would you want to trust the dive shop with your life?
Oh, really we do to some extent anyway, every time we get a tank. We hope that the air or blend in the tank is clean enough, but all we can really test for is O2 and smell or taste - unless you're one of the rare diver who carries and test of CO which in itself has no smell or taste.

Padi requires quarterly air tests, and for the US there is but one accredited facility, and a customer has every right to see the results of the most recent test - but try asking to see. The usual responses I've received are "Not since hurricane Wilma. We've never had any problem, tho."

Try this is you'd like: Pick out 10 dive operators around the Caribbean, Mexico and Cent America who display Padi affiliation. Email them that you're considering them for your group and you'd like to see their most recent test results. :eyebrow:
EVERY TIME, when I pick up the tank and again just before I use it....
And I've seen some testers that I didn't recognize so I bought my own. If they don't have the one I have, I use mine, but now they usually do - so I use theirs and save my sensors.

I think SeaLevelScuba gave a good idea of how providers can react to SDA cards. If the diver has the card, the Op is safe providing the fill - but many still won't

Sealevelscuba's comments and others reinforce the warning that anyone can claim to be anything online. Jorakae's efforts to verify the SDA site and the results are telling.

I think that I will have to take my personal agency "DTBWSH" (Divers Trained By Watching Sea Hunt) on line and see if I can make some money (since my inheritance from Nigeria hasn't arrived yet).

OK, tongue out of cheek, we all have to watch out for the internet scams. It is hard to believe that with all the publicity people are still falling for the scams.

I'm not trying to side track this just curious if your course included formulas or just the tables. Since you said the math I would guess you had to work the formulas for calculating EAD/PPO2 etc... The only reason I bring this up is I appreciate that they made tables for us so we don't have to try to do the math to calculate NDL's.

Personally, I'd avoid a computer only course. I like to know the math behind the gas I put in my body, and one I know that, I have the confidence I can safely dive if my computer fails on vacation and I have to use rental gear :D

OK, I spoke to the LDS owner that was listed on the SDA website. He kept trying to correct me and say it was SSI that I must be referring to. He then understood that I really meant SDA. He was going to look into the website and try to find out why they listed his store. He has never heard of them. FYI...He doesn't have Nitrox fills and never has but is thinking about caring nitrox in the far future but has not talked to an agency regarding it. He would not support a transfer student coming from SDA since he is unaware of their agency. I could be wring but I thought the website was misleading although it did not directly state the listed LDS would support the training and crossover but it does provide the list of the stores as though they do.

I test my gas every time, and every shop in my area requires a Nitrox card.

I did my cert online with SDA and found the course material to be fairly thorough.
Nearly identical to the IANTD student workbook and manual.
SDA used many analogies and plenty of history lessons to make understanding concepts easier.
You still have to do the math on your gas mixes,SAC,etc.

Take a look at the link at the bottom and you decide.
This is a large portion (but not all) of what is taught in SDA's online Nitrox course.
In addition, you have to score a 100% on 4 seperate exams covering each section in addition to a final exam that encompasses all that's taught.
You can't move on to the next section until you have mastered the previous section.

Here's the major drawback to this course.
There's no one overseeing you while you take your exams.
It works purely on honesty.
That's fine....I suppose....but you have to understand, if you're taking the course, and you cheat.
You're only cheating yourself.
It's your life to lose.

I studied the materials, learned the content.
I took the exams (though they weren't super hard, weren't no brainers either) same format as the PADI OW exam.

I have the disadvantages and dangers of Nitrox use indelibly engraved in my brain.
The first thing I did after completing the course was buy my own O2 analyzer.

IMHO, this course was more thorough in content than the OW course I took.

Back
Top Bottom