Online Nitrox and SDA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been looking into an online Nitrox class and came across a site offering an online course with no practical work required. I called the location and asked what organization would be issuing the certification. I was told it was through Scuba Divers of America.
  • Has anyone heard of SDA?
  • If anyone reading this fills tanks for a living, would you fill a tank if I gave you an SDA card?

I plan on getting trainied locally before heading to Bermuda, but I was weighing all my options. If you are wondering what site I'm referring to, Google online nitrox. They are within the top 3 listings.

I'm sorry, but I really have reservations about doing online courses. In all, your greatest loss would be not having an instructor there to answer questions that aren't in the course.

I would like to know if they are an accredited agency?

Hey Don,

What makes an agency accredited? As far as I know, there is no such thing as an accredited agency or a higher power that oversees the operation of all scuba certifying agencies. There is the RSTC, but that's hardly an accreditation, but more of a coalition of certifying agencies that agree to teach by a minimum set of standards.

There are no laws that state what, how, and by whom scuba can be taught.
There are no laws that prohibit the sale of air, nitrox, oxygen, or helium to only people certified to handle the gases.

Pretty much anybody can start a scuba certifying agency and sell instructional courses to anybody that they see fit. Take NAUI and GUE for example. Neither of them fall under the umbrella of RSTC. Does that mean that they aren't accredited or any less qualified?

The same could possibly be true for SDA. They might well teach a outstanding nitrox program. You might or might not get nitrox from your local fill station, but that's not because of any governing body that limits who the fill station can offer fills to. It has everything to do with local fill station policies (written, unwritten, or the mood of the fill station operator).

I'm not trying to start anything, but just giving you something else to ponder. :)

Ok, I'd like to know WTH Nx has to do with BCs...?

It was a joke based on a comment on another poster. :)

I and all my dive Buddy's test all there tanks. The course is important but the name on the card is not. SDA or SDI or PADI I think the teacher is important.

I and all my dive Buddy's test all there tanks. The course is important but the name on the card is not. SDA or SDI or PADI I think the teacher is important.

Any person of reasonable intelligence can acquire all the knowledge they need to safely dive nitrox from any one of a number of perfectly adequate books. But without a recognized and accepted card, he may not be able to get anyone to supply the gas.

BTW, when they are both coming out of the same fill whip, why is it that we don't analyze our air?

Hey Don,

What makes an agency accredited? As far as I know, there is no such thing as an accredited agency or a higher power that oversees the operation of all scuba certifying agencies. There is the RSTC, but that's hardly an accreditation, but more of a coalition of certifying agencies that agree to teach by a minimum set of standards.

There are no laws that state what, how, and by whom scuba can be taught.
There are no laws that prohibit the sale of air, nitrox, oxygen, or helium to only people certified to handle the gases.

Pretty much anybody can start a scuba certifying agency and sell instructional courses to anybody that they see fit. Take NAUI and GUE for example. Neither of them fall under the umbrella of RSTC. Does that mean that they aren't accredited or any less qualified?

The same could possibly be true for SDA. They might well teach a outstanding nitrox program. You might or might not get nitrox from your local fill station, but that's not because of any governing body that limits who the fill station can offer fills to. It has everything to do with local fill station policies (written, unwritten, or the mood of the fill station operator).

I'm not trying to start anything, but just giving you something else to ponder. :)
Hey, much thanks on the input. I couldn't remember the name - now WRSTC WRSTC :: World Recreational Scuba Training Council and too, I wasn't clear on exactly what they were - certainly didn't realize that Naui, Gue, and maybe some other, more recognized agencies were not members. I suppose the bottom line is what the operators will accept and/or what their insurance carriers say they'll cover.

I suppose this one could become widely acceptable - someday?
I'm sorry, but I really have reservations about doing online courses. In all, your greatest loss would be not having an instructor there to answer questions that aren't in the course.
It's good you guys didn't have my instructor. :silly: I learned in spite of him.
Any person of reasonable intelligence can acquire all the knowledge they need to safely dive nitrox from any one of a number of perfectly adequate books. But without a recognized and accepted card, he may not be able to get anyone to supply the gas.
Yep, I studied the book, sit thru the required class, and made two then required dives; what I learned came from the book. Our check-out dives were at over 4,000 ft elevation so he told us to be sure to not get below 70 ft deep. I tried to explain to him that his reasoning was off, but he insisted, so I did 2 - 65 ft dives and got my card.
BTW, when they are both coming out of the same fill whip, why is it that we don't analyze our air?
We probly should in those cases - and I do for Carbon Monoxide now.

Who is this acreditting body you nkeep talking about Don?

As far as I know, there is NO single accreditting body.

You can make up your own organization name, offer a course and teach it.

Who's to say you won't offer the best course ever taught....EVER.

Should we all bash you because you're not one of the BIG BOYS among certifying agencies?..............No

As long as you take away what you need to function efficiently, you should be good to go.

Just my .02

Who is this acreditting body you nkeep talking about Don?

As far as I know, there is NO single accreditting body.

You can make up your own organization name, offer a course and teach it.

Who's to say you won't offer the best course ever taught....EVER.

Should we all bash you because you're not one of the BIG BOYS among certifying agencies?..............No

As long as you take away what you need to function efficiently, you should be good to go.

Just my .02
Did you not read my last post, or was I not clear...? :confused:

Yeah, I guess you're right - if the operators and all will accept them.

Sorry you got taken, but you did. Get over it. You can theorize about acreditting bodies and whatever all you like, but it doesn't change reality. No matter how good a course you felt it was, if it's not a generally recognized card and can't get you a Nitrox fill it's not of much use. Trying to justify it here isn't going to make it any more recognized. Perhaps you should be glad you're finding out about this before you find yourself someplace you were relying on using it.

I've never had any shop want a waiver just for fllling a tank. Waivers are generally when they're actually taking you diving.

1.6 is not a wild MOD. Known agencies use it. Has anyone invited SDA to post here?
I don't know, I'd love to see them here, someone needs to call them to task for what appears to be their highly deceptive web site.

Also like to know of anyone who tried to buy Nitrox with one of their cards...?
I'd like to talk with anyone who has one of their cards.

Ok, I'd like to know WTH Nx has to do with BCs...?
Everything ... if you got six whole years for experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom