Online Sales - The importance of buying from local businesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is probally pouring salt in the wound, but like I ever care. IMHO every dive shop in my area is a rip-off. And 9 out of 10 times they don't have what I want anyways. So why should I listen to the "yeah we can order that" when I can do the same thing and save a ton? It really errks me that shops have instructors use only what the sell, even if it's crap. Everybody is in it for a buck, and maybe if more LDS diden't try to make so much on the first purchase and realized what a long term diver is going to spend they'd see more loyalty

Now you are right; I am not driving to Plainfield in order to dive off Evanston or at IL Beach. But the LDS that I use when I am in Florida is open at 6AM on Sunday. I can pick up a tank, weights, and just about anything else I might need. I can book a seat on a dive boat then. So I do not wonder why they have stayed in business for 30+ years when many other shops have closed up.

Good Luck to you.

But there is a big difference, boats leave for dive trips areound 8am if not earlier, let alone twilight morning dives. Thats not anything really done here, and if I was diving at 8am, I would already want my stuff so I could go straight to the dive site. Like you said though, it depends on the diver. I totally agree that you cant appeal to everyone not being open on Sundays......but for us right now, it works great!! As we grow and have a bigger staff to allow us to both, Dive on Sundays for our customers, and be open, we will. It all comes in time....Growing pains arent fun:wink:

Gary, I hope sometime if your in the area you stop by! Alot of people forget that alot of the Online stores, are Brick and Mortar too. Online sales is alot easier than in the door sales. Like you said, you dont like the fact that brick and mortars arent open at 6am to fill your tanks. Well, online wouldnt be either, but they can take your order and ship in the morning....meaning one less thing to get irritated about...They dont take care of rental gear for you, only shipping...thats only one facet of a Dive Shop. As far as shipping and equipment, I would think most of the online shops are great at what they do, ourselves included as we do alot of online stuff. But when it gets to the store level, there is alot more things that divers want, not just equipment...and we do try to fill those wants.....we just cant meet everyones wants at the same time.....again though....Most shops, including us, will try our hardest to give meet those wants though

Gary, If you ever need a tank please just give us a call and set an appointment to pick it up, even if we are closed. I live 10 mins from the shop and would be more than happy to get you tanks at any time :)

I must say that Mike P has gone WAY out of his way for me....

The shop seems very customer service oriented from what I have experienced. Probably more than any one shop I have had dealings with, actually. Can they afford to stay that way? Hopefully.

Customer Service is important but competitive pricing must be met as well.

The internet has done more than just bring us alternate vendors. It has brought us product and pricing information that wasn't available before.

When I walk into a store to look at something, I don't care how "nice" you are or how "good" your service is. If you ask me for retail when I already know how much I can get it for elsewhere, I'm going to walk.

It takes both, Customer Service and Great Prices!

Actually, it goes one step further than that. Customers want service, price, and a wide selection. The average local shop fails right off the bat on 2 out of 3. There are exceptional dive retailers that deliver this combo and they are cleaning the clocks of those who think service alone or price alone is enough to compete.

The bar has been raised across the board. You can't expect divers to lower their expectations of retailers once they start shopping for scuba gear. Low margin, high service shops with wide selection will win the day simply because it's what customers have come to expect in every other area of their retail life. Customers (like me) are spoiled :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/t...em&ex=1199682000&en=ba25b94091d6b2bb&ei=5087

Rich

Actually, it goes one step further than that. Customers want service, price, and a wide selection. The average local shop fails right off the bat on 2 out of 3. There are exceptional dive retailers that deliver this combo and they are cleaning the clocks of those who think service alone or price alone is enough to compete.

The bar has been raised across the board. You can't expect divers to lower their expectations of retailers once they start shopping for scuba gear. Low margin, high service shops with wide selection will win the day simply because it's what customers have come to expect in every other area of their retail life. Customers (like me) are spoiled :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/t...em&ex=1199682000&en=ba25b94091d6b2bb&ei=5087

Rich

Good call Rich.

Here in Melbourne, Australia there are plenty of dive shops but none carry a range wide enough to cater for a wide cross-section of divers. Furthermore, the prices are 200% (yes, double) of what I can pay at LP or ST (including delivery, which is not cheap from US to AU).

Yes there are a couple of LDSs that are helpful, decent people, not too pushy. But if your range is small and your prices are huge, guess where I'm going to buy from. Unfortunately being nice, helpful and knowledgeable just don't cut it anymore.

The value in going to an LDS is instant gratification... You can do research and buy online... LP has good return policies, so as long as you buy in advance of your needs, you can buy the wrong size and have enough time to get the right one.

The value in going to an LDS is instant gratification... You can do research and buy online... LP has good return policies, so as long as you buy in advance of your needs, you can buy the wrong size and have enough time to get the right one.

It is not"instant gratification" if the LDS doesn't have in stock what you want. See my post above about the Aeris quick disconnects.

The bar has been raised across the board. You can't expect divers to lower their expectations of retailers once they start shopping for scuba gear. Low margin, high service shops with wide selection will win the day simply because it's what customers have come to expect in every other area of their retail life. Customers (like me) are spoiled

Spoiled, maybe. Disappointed, probably.

Nobody on the planet can run low margins with high service. Not Walmart, not McDonalds, Not FedEx. It just doesn't work like that.

Sales volume requires employees, employees cost money. Good employees cost more money. All this comes out of the price the customer pays.

I have no doubt that at some point, you'll be able to buy really cheap stuff. You might even be able to buy it from nice people. But the "service" part of your requirements costs money.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom