Only one dive in Hawaii (Big Island). Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
my wife complains that I am working too much (she is right ... early this year I promised her that I was going to retire :D) ... so I agreed to take a week off (from work and from diving ...:no:) and go with her to Hawaii - Big Island to relax and enjoy top side scenary :blinking:

But, is my intention to convince her that we should - at least - do some snorkeling ... bring mask & fins. And while we prepare our luggage it could happen that, by mistake, my regulator and dive computer get to come to Hawaii too :wink:

So, when I "discover" the regulator I will have the excuse to do - at least - one dive. Pleaseeee?

I read the FAQ .... but I still have to ask the question: IF You could do ONLY ONE DIVE while in vacation in Hawaii - Big Island .... which one would it be?

Thanks

I_AM

The night dive with the mantas - absolutely amazing. You won't forget it.

Just go to Honaunau - beautiful reef with super easy shore access. It'll be cheap, your wife can snorkel while you're diving, and she won't be grumpy at you for being stuck on a boat all day.

Any suggestions for the best outfit to go with for the manta dive?

My husband and I dove with Wanna Dive for the manta ray night dive. (His name on the board here is friscuba). Nice boat, DM Bob is top-notch, very good service. HIGHLY recommend Wanna Dive. Keep in mind, your wife can also snorkel during the manta night dive. The mantas came just as close to the snorkelers as the divers, on our dive.

It is a once in a lifetime, surreal dive experience when the mantas are showing up. The owner, Steve has a nice blog, which usually details how many mantas they've seen lately. A Kona Hawaii Scuba Diver blabbers on

Have a great trip!

Aloha,

NH

I also rececommend the Manta Night Dive. Very easy dive. Go to a depth of 30 ft and the Mantas swim all around you. We dove with Bottom Time. Small group. They claim to have the strongest lights. So the Mantas spend more time with your group. They did spend more time w us and even followed us back to our boat. I like that idea "oops howd my BC get in here".

One dive? Manta Ray night dive. I went on one last week. Plenty of up close Manta Rays as well as a threadfin of some sort (divemaster said it was an African Pompano). I was also lucky enough to see a squid as he tooled around unafraid. And the wife was able to snorkel.

Manta ray dive. This is not only an epic dive experience, I consider it to be an epic LIFE experience. Absolutely unforgetable. Being sea creatures, there is no guarantee on any given night that the mantas will be there... but do it anyway, if they show up you'll be blown away.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom