Ooh-rah, Marine!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep South Divers

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought-ch'all might get a kick outta this:

After seeing some better-than-expected results from one of my team's GoPro/GoMask combination, I decided to purchase one of my own. We're working divers and need both hands free to work, so the headmount/mask mount idea was really our best option.

I added a cheap eBay knockoff of the SP Gadgets POV light and chose the new GoPro Hero 4 Session for it's small size and light weight. I hoped the light would last 3-5 dives, but it's done 30 and is still going strong with no signs of wear.

Of interest, I purchased a housing for the Session even though the camera is waterproof on it's own to 33 feet... Just to get the depth... But I haven't been using the housing lately because all of our jobs over the past week or two have been less than 33' deep... And the camera is so nice and small and quick to charge without it.

Here's a couple pictures of the setup WITH the housing:

gomasklight1.jpg

gomasklight2.jpg

gomasklight3.jpg

gomasklight4.jpg

I did a Facebook post about it at the time: New toys for work. 1. GoMask.... - DEEP SOUTH DIVERS | Facebook

Later, I ditched the housing in favor of the better sound, smaller size, and lower profile: The dive housing for this new GoPro... - DEEP SOUTH DIVERS | Facebook

Obviously this system can not be used very well with a buddy, and definitely not for signaling... But for a working diver, the system is stellar and very simple and comparatively compact. Cheap, too. The mask I think was $89 at Diver's Direct in Orlando, the camera was purchased directly on the GoPro website for $199, and the light - a surprisingly rugged and nicely-built unit that uses GoPro batteries and is rechargeable with a microUSB phone cord - was purchased on eBay at Underwater Waterproof Diving Spot Light LED Mount for GoPro Hero 4 3+ 3 Camera . Takes less than an hour to charge, is ridiculously bright, lasts a full work day (4 or more hours of bottom time) and has a beam so wide that backscatter is a nonissue. Yes, for realzies. I had to try it myself to believe it.

Some of the results: (WARNING: NSFW - Foul language.)

Many more videos can be seen at www.facebook.com/deepsouthdivers, including videos taken in very low visibility conditions. The light and camera do an impressive job even in the worst of waters.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom