Open water 3&4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikey6879

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I have completed my open water dives 1&2, and had a few problems. First of all, i was very hot before i went in the water, with the drysuit,gloves and hood on, almost to the point were i was going to throw up. Afterwards, when we went to desend i struggled to find my regulator and bcd deflator before going down (i must of done about 6 recoverys on the surface before my instructor got it), i think this was because of the gloves and i couldn't feel what i was touching. When i was down and had to purge my reg, i couldn't because i couldn't feel the button because of the gloves, Eventually i did find it. When we surfaced between 1&2 i couldn't hear very much, because water was in my hood. Any advice would be helpfull.

Thanks,
mikey6879

Well, during the surface interval, it would be advisable to remove the hood if you can't hear well enough. The hood is for keeping your head warm while under the surface of the water.
If you're on land or on a boat for your surface interval, it makes no sense to remain geared up.

I wouldn't don the drysuit fully until everyone in the group is just about ready to enter the water. Look around. Ask every buddy team whether they're almost ready to go. Do as many of your pre-dive gear checks as possible without zipping up...check with your buddy...check with your instructor...and then zip up at the appropriate time. Complete your buddy checks quickly and then enter the water ASAP. Timing is really the key to not overheating at the surface in a drysuit. Be smart about it. If you are already zipped up in the drysuit, try to stay in the shade or hit the cold showers if available. This is a safety issue for sure.

The rest of your issues will resolve with practice.

FWIW, I think your instructor is doing you and your classmates a disservice if he/she is not instructing the class to completely exit the water in-between OW class dives. It's best to do a post-dive debrief on land or on a boat. Not only will students absorb material better when on dry land (and not fighting "new" gear in the water) but it will give the students another opportunity to go through all of the pre-dive/buddy checks and assemble all of the gear. Classes are short enough as it is. Students need practice with that sort of stuff.
At least, that's my opinion. :)

Let your instructor know about your issues. Perhaps he/she can help you avoid the overheating issue in the future.

Have fun with the rest of your class!

I don't know which training agency you are training with, but after dive 1, I would have expected you to exit the water and do a de-brief. Then a briefing before dive 2

Gloves could cause potentially issues with regards to feel. I have removed the tips of my glove from the thumb, index and middle fingers. My hands are still warm and I have perfect feel. I expose my head/ears through the hoodie once I surface; I also struggle to have meaning conversations at the surface with the hoodie on. I would suggest fitting your hoodie and gloves once you enter the water, this will help with the heat issue. Generally OW students kit up and wait for each other, this also compounds the heat issue. Once you are certified and more confident you can kit-up and hang in the water and wait for the rest of the guys. Obviously make sure you have an inflated wing before you enter the water. Drowning is shallow water by yourself sucks!!!

Safe Diving.

First, you will have a better day tomorrow because you have a little experience in the equipment you will be wearing. The closk can't be turned back, but if it could a poll session in the excat gear you will be wearing for the open water dives is a really good idea- tell your instrucotr and others this.
As to getting hot, it happens on dive boats as well as at training sessions. As permission to jump in to cool down- just be sure your instructor knows and approves before the fact. Also, set up all gear before donning exposure protection on hot days. Some cold and rainy days we put on out exposure suits first. On hot days, just before entry.
Gloves make every hand and finger movement harder and less sensitive. Consider thinner gloves- 3 mil maximum. In water over 60 degree sF, you can propobaly go without gloves.
Practice makes perfect on skills and on equipment use. It will be easier every dive.
DivemasterDennis

Another thing to consider with the over heating is to maybe try thinner under garments. Depending on the water temp I would recomend either trying thinner gloves or no gloves at all. I have 2 pair of gloves one pair is 3mm and the other is 6mm. I have worn my 3mm gloves in water that was 40 degrees, my hands got a bit chilly at the end of a 40 minute dive but I was still fine and could have had a longer dive if my dad and I had cose to stay down longer. I have also worn my 6mm gloves in 40 degree water. While I had very little water movement and my hands were much warmer, I can honestly say that I would prefer to wear my 3mm gloves because I have much more manual dexterity and can do things much easier and they are much more comfotable to me. Like everyone else has said wait until last to sip up your drysuit. When I'm diving dry I will pull my suit up to my waist then finish assembleing the rest of my gear then right before I enter the water I zip up, put my computer on my wrist, put my hood and gloves on and get in the water. And also express your concerns to your instructor about how you have felt. They are should be flexible and be able to help you change things around to help you feel better. Oh and one last thing make sure you have cold drinks on site. Have a lot of water and or gatorade because the cold fluids will help some too.

One of the challenges of diving cold water in warm weather is avoiding overheating before diving. There are several things to consider . . . One is to get ALL your equipment fully assembled and checked before you begin to dress. Another is to consider going down and getting in the water in your exposure protection, before gearing up -- a wet suit (dry or neoprene) is cooler than a dry one! The final thing is not to delay water entry, once you are dressed and geared up. Final dive checks can be done in water shallow enough to stand; if you cannot do that, do everything you can quickly, and get the in water as soon as it is reasonable to do so. (My Fundies instructor said we had to check one regulator and our BC inflator before we could get in the water, but everything else could be checked after we were there.)

The difficult part about checkout dives in cold water and warm weather is that, no matter HOW hot you are on the surface, you are going to get cold fast once you are in the water. So balancing how much of everything you do on land with what you do in the shallows can be difficult, and efficiency is key.

I suspect the OP is doing his dives at an inland site. Near London that would be Wraysbury. Perhaps the OP can confirm that?

Assuming inland, setup the gear first in your normal clothes and do this as soon as you can.

Next get into your drysuit and leave the zip open - remember the zip is open. Remember the zip is open !!!!!!

As soon as you are ready to put your mask on ask your buddy to check your zip. Once zipped up put on your mask, gloves (and computer if you have one).

If you are hanging about waiting, go to the water edge and rinse your mask (tell your instructor, DM or buddy that you are doing it)- pour the cold water over your face or dunk your head in the water. If it's Wraysbury this will take a minute.
Check your mask is on and the straps are ok - buddy check !

Put on your weightbelt/weight system - and ask your buddy to assist with your BC. Reciprocate for your buddy - check weightbelt/BC/zip

Perform your predive buddy check.

Out of the water, take off your hood when you step on dry land but not before !. If the hood feels a bit tight on the surface put 2 fingers in the hood and wiggle your fingers a bit this helps a wee bit.

BTW On a boat there will be times when it's a good idea to keep the hood on - if sea conditions are lumpy you'll be covered in sea spray so it's a good idea sometimes to keep your head dry.

As others have pointed out it's often about timing so keep an eye out on your buddy and your group. Where possible take your time and don't rush - it's all about conserving energy :) so try to do things in a relaxed manner and if you feel rushed let your instructor,DM buddies know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom