Open Water Class Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krbailey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently saw a photo of an OW class doing their pool work. There were at least 13 students and only 1 instructor. Is this normal?

Do you know which agency the class was taught under? PADI standards allow for max of 10:1 for pool, but permits up to 14 with a Divemaster present. Could one of the "students" have been a Divemaster? Whether the standards permit it and whether it is a good idea are may not be the same thing though.

Do you know which agency the class was taught under? PADI standards allow for max of 10:1 for pool, but permits up to 14 with a Divemaster present. Could one of the "students" have been a Divemaster?

It was a Naui class that a friend of mine was in. She said that there was only the one instructor. She also mentioned that it took forever - the instructor had to work with several students on their skills while the rest of the class was idle for as much as 30 minutes at a time.

I recently saw a photo of an OW class doing their pool work. There were at least 13 students and only 1 instructor. Is this normal?

Were they wearing tags that said "Student"?

Sadly, how much value does your friend think they are getting? Classes that size must be really cheap as there's no other benefit. My pool sessions are max 4:1, open water are 2:1 ..........that kind of class is a waste of every ones time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

probably still too many students to an instructor, but they might not all be students. I attended OW after being certified for over 10 years because I'd recently come off a 7 year absence from diving. I really didn't need any individual attention. Just there for review.

Our course this weekend has 12 (there is another course going the same time). Instructor plus 2 paid DMs. The other course also has 2 paid DMs.

I try to keep my classes to just two, unless it's a family. You can teach two far more efficiently than one or three & more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom