Open Water Class Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but they might not all be students. I attended OW after being certified for over 10 years... Just there for review.

You still counted against the ratio. Anyone but a certified teaching assistant does... even DMCs.

NAUI ratios for non-certified students are:
1:8 with no qualified assistants
1:10 with 1 QA
1:12 with 2 QA

Playing defense for the Instructor in question: Some may have been former students just getting bottom time while he runs his Basic class. That's running a gray area but nothing breaking standards with that unless he crosses the line of running 2 classes at once: ie Review Session & Basic Class.

A NAUI Instructor can use Non-Qualified Assistants to help teach the class if they so choose (ie. divers who aren't DM's, AI's, or TA-certed divers). They don't count for the Instructor:Student ratios in that case. How wise a choice that is brings up an entirely different discussion.

I've been apart of programs who do that and it works extraordinarily well for everyone and likewise I've been apart of other programs that don't work well doing that.

Your friend should ask the Instructor because like it or not there should be a level of trust between the student and instructor. Don't be afraid to question the Instructor. And I want to clarify question and not accuse.

AFAIK, they are all OW students except my friend who was certified 20+ years ago and hasn't dove since. She is paying the full OW course price. I also just found out that the class is at different stages of instruction. They started out together but due to the scheduling, everyone couldn't make all the classes. So in a session, some students have only had one class while this is the 3rd or 4th class for others. Some have also had an open water session before completing the pool work.

She is paying the full OW course price.
Then, she is definitely a student.

Bored students have a hard time learning. I used to teach classes with six and eight in them, but I spent a lot of time getting students to re-focus when it came their turn. I've had some instructors belittle me for having small classes, but I'm probably making about the same as they are teaching eight. What's more, I get more quality time with each student, getting them trim and neutral from the very start. I just don't see a down side to this.

I try to keep my classes to just two, unless it's a family. You can teach two far more efficiently than one or three & more.

My favorite number of students are 2 also. From the feedback I have received this has also been a good number for the students as well. I am currently working with three classes of 2 student each and with a DMC too. I could have jammed all three classes together into one with 6 OW students and 2 DMCs but I too think there is too much idle time for the class while you work with the individual students.

I understand the logistics and business plan of larger classes but I teach on a small island and the smaller classes suit me just fine.

It was a Naui class that a friend of mine was in...

There were at least 13 students and only 1 instructor.

She also mentioned that it took forever - the instructor had to work with several students on their skills while the rest of the class was idle for as much as 30 minutes at a time.

You or your friend are obviously mistaken; this must have been a PADI class.

Everyone knows that NAUI instructors are infallible and their courses are perfect in every way. Has something to do with them having "teaching freedom" from what I understand.

Comic sans
= SB sarcasm font.

After hearing about her experience, I recommended that she look around for another instructor but she had the same guy 20 years ago and doesn't want anyone else.

Quite shocking to my mind - how anyone can teach a practical skill to a group that size single-handedly is beyond me. The boredom that will set in especially amongst those doing dives 3+4 while the instructor goes around checking students on dives 1+2 must be bad. Most of the time in the water must be spent waiting.

So glad I managed to get 1 on 1 with my instructor (was worth the extra money imho) - no waiting about for other people, face to face feedback, skills done without having to wait - my OW dives ended up being more relaxed "proper" dives because of it I think.

My OW class had 4 students in it, and all were comfortable in the water, so the instructor was a little more "liberal" in what he did in the OW sessions, and the class went well. It did get a little old when it came to CESAs, because of the time it takes to do the skill, but it wasn't too bad since I could work on my buoyancy while waiting. But I think the ideal number for me would be two. Having 1-on-1 wouldn't give me a chance to watch somebody else do it, which for me can help a lot.

It did get a little old when it came to CESAs, because of the time it takes to do the skill,
I only teach CESA's horizontally and in the pool. In Open water, it teaches bad habits, imperils the instructor and has no positive benefit for a student's safety or comfort in the water.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom