"Open Water" The Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tell you, I have never seen so many people take a film out of context.

People, this was not a diving movie. It was a art film. You are not meant to dissect it and analyze it like it is some treatise on the sport of scuba diving.

You are not meant to critique the behavior, training, or actions of the ludicrously unbelieveable divers or boat operators.

This was a movie about emotion. About facing death, about a great "what if".

How would you react? What would you feel? Have you ever truly thought about dieing a frustrating, heartbreaking, slow death in abject loneliness.

It may sound morbid, but death is a truly human subject and one that usually illicits a serious emotional response.

Think of their plight, not their lack of equipment.
Try to empathize with with them as hope fades and this fruitless struggle nears its end.

That is what this movie is about. I left it shaken up and my heart rate was elevated for a good half hour while I thought of what an awful emotional place it would be to be in that predicament, regardless of the fact that I would never be caught in the ocean without the items that would have saved thier lives.

Lighten up man, the movie was horrible! I simply asked if you surfaced between two dive boats as they did, would you swim for a boat? split up? or would you just float there and make no attempt at self-rescue like they did in the movie. I know the movie is speculation after they jumped off the back of the boat.

Dash Riprock:
I tell you, I have never seen so many people take a film out of context.

People, this was not a diving movie. It was a art film. You are not meant to dissect it and analyze it like it is some treatise on the sport of scuba diving.

You are not meant to critique the behavior, training, or actions of the ludicrously unbelieveable divers or boat operators.

Maybe so, but it is kind of fun to watch if you turn it into a drinking game, and have a slug of beer every time there is either a technical error (snorkel on wrong side of mask, for example) or someone says something stupid (like when they arrive at their tropical destination and the question is "Why is it so hot here?").

G'wan. Give it a try.

Perhapse, but I still want to know what I can say to my mother to calm her down...

So far nothing I've tried has worked. I showed her all my saftey gear (whistles, SMB's, mirror, etc.). Told her it was a MOVIE not real life, everything I could think of. No matter what, every time I talk to her: "your going to be careful right? I saw what happened to those people in that movie"... ARRRRHHHHGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parents ... I'm 28 years old for cry'n out loud! I guess nothing works.

rottielover:
Perhapse, but I still want to know what I can say to my mother to calm her down...

So far nothing I've tried has worked. I showed her all my saftey gear (whistles, SMB's, mirror, etc.). Told her it was a MOVIE not real life, everything I could think of. No matter what, every time I talk to her: "your going to be careful right? I saw what happened to those people in that movie"... ARRRRHHHHGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parents ... I'm 28 years old for cry'n out loud! I guess nothing works.

watch it with her, and play the game. There are a lot of spots in there where someone with a whistle, SMB, mirror, etc. would have done something different... so point those spots out and let her know exactly what you would have done.

Then try replacing that movie with a different one? Rent Coral Reef Adventure and show her that...

And tell her "yes mom, I'm going to be careful." :)

Karibelle:
Then try replacing that movie with a different one? Rent Coral Reef Adventure and show her that...

Then you can explain to her what it means when Howard Hall gets bent on that deep dive and has to go to the chamber... :D

ScubaTexan:
Then you can explain to her what it means when Howard Hall gets bent on that deep dive and has to go to the chamber... :D

Good point. I hadn't remembered that part...

Ouch... yea I don't want her see'n that!

Maybe I'll try and find some home video's from the people that hang out at the shop instead :wink:

:14: You know....if it hadn't been for the token nudity at the beginning of the movie, it would have been a complete waste. This movie was so bad (I rate it up there with Cobra and Dolores Claiborn), I was actually rooting the sharks on to kill the annoying woman (at that point I didn't care how hot she was). Thinking back the way the woman was acting....I think the suicide scenario works for me.

mario_speedwagon:
:14: You know....if it hadn't been for the token nudity at the beginning of the movie, it would have been a complete waste. This movie was so bad (I rate it up there with Cobra and Dolores Claiborn), I was actually rooting the sharks on to kill the annoying woman (at that point I didn't care how hot she was). Thinking back the way the woman was acting....I think the suicide scenario works for me.

+1 rooting for the sharks.

Back
Top Bottom