"Open Water" The Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y'all think that was bad????? You ought to see "Open Water 2: Adrift."
I actually kind of liked the original O/W..
2, on the other hand... As my dive buddy mentioned in another post: "I would have rather cleaned toilets for two hours." Complete waste of time, and DVD material. Not even any token nudity. :(

My take on that movie is that it was concieved and made knowingly cashing in on non diver's and infrequent diver's fears and misconceptions to a degree. Although there are some crucial lessons to be be gleened, you could write volumes and debate it endlessly, but I think it's central to the core reasons that most accidents/incidents occur....poor judgement

rottielover:
Perhapse, but I still want to know what I can say to my mother to calm her down...

So far nothing I've tried has worked. I showed her all my saftey gear (whistles, SMB's, mirror, etc.). Told her it was a MOVIE not real life, everything I could think of. No matter what, every time I talk to her: "your going to be careful right? I saw what happened to those people in that movie"... ARRRRHHHHGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parents ... I'm 28 years old for cry'n out loud! I guess nothing works.

:rofl3:

If I only had a dollar everytime ...

Maybe if you get this: http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dlr.shtml

Lehmann108:
I heard the "true" events were actually staged as part of an insurance fraud.

That's what the defense for the dive operator tried to allege during the trial.

+3... go sharks!

Michael Mcfadyen in Australia has the complete story on his website, under the "Other Dive Info / Dive Incidents section.

The Director of "Open Water" has stated that the idea came from reading about the Lonergans but he never intended it to be a "documentary" on what happened to them.

Michael Mcfadyen lives in Sydney, Australia, and has made over 2,470 dives

His website is a nice non-commercial dive website.

http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/news.php

mario_speedwagon:
:14: You know....if it hadn't been for the token nudity at the beginning of the movie, it would have been a complete waste. This movie was so bad (I rate it up there with Cobra and Dolores Claiborn), I was actually rooting the sharks on to kill the annoying woman (at that point I didn't care how hot she was). Thinking back the way the woman was acting....I think the suicide scenario works for me.

Dude! I'm with ya. The quick shot of her *&^% was the best part in the whole movie.

I may have to rent it, just to see that scene again. Maybe make it my avatar?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom