"Open Water" The Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
Mmmmmmm.... Tasty humans! "Stay crunchy in milk!" :D

If only that were true. :sharkattack: But it is part of a well balanced breakfast :coffee:

I read about the real incident in Bill Bryson's book "In a Sunburnt (?) Country" about 4 years ago. Supposedly the married couple were having problems and there were 2 places they could have swam to get out of the water but both were a 1-2 nautical mile swim away. Later, bcd vests were found relatively untouched and further investigation found the husbands diary talking about killing himself and taking his wife with him. Don't quote me on it but read the book. Besides, it's a great book about traveling Australia.

There was one incident where I did kinda get stuck in the ocean, but that was because I fell asleep and then woke up on the boat. Boy, the divemaster was sure mad, her blue eyes still freak me out too.

yeah, there's a discussion on it somewhere around here. It ended up with OW3 details: Sharks with frikkin laserbeams on their heads vs. zombie scuba divers in outer space.

Don Burke:
I saw a DVD of "Open Water II" at the store the other day, so the original must have made money.

All I took away from the movie was that a large SMB, a strong light and a mirror all might have helped. All of which will be on my person whenever I'm in the Ocean.

I'm even thinking of making a dive-resistant green laser pointer. That's got a range of miles, and I'd think that it would certainly be brighter to a distant boat than anything else short of a flare.

And at the end of the movie, just how did she "sink below the waves" when she had already dropped her lead, and slipped off her BCD? She was left in a full wetsuit in saltwater. And let me tell ya, she was not thin enough to sink in those conditions....

I posted a question awhile ago when there was an "Open Water" thread that popped up, got no response so here it goes again, If you and a buddy surface between two dive boats, Your dive boat and perhaps another dive operator, you try to signal at that distance however feel as though you are not being seen or heard, would you send your buddy swimming toward one boat and you toward the other, or would it be too risky to seperate from one another? Open Water had an agonizing several minutes go by where the divers simply tried to signal and then the boats motored away. If one diver made it to one of the boats, you could inform the crew of that boat that your buddy was swimming toward the other? sound logical? especially if conditions would allow

I would not seperate from my buddy. I would inflate my SMB and perhaps sound my dive alert, then start swimming with my buddy to the boat.

The problem the divers experienced in the movie was that they didn't have what I consider manditory gear for a boat dive. Namely a SMB and dive alert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom