Opening day for StoneCrab - Wed., Oct. 15th - Dive at Spanish Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Opening day for StoneCrab - Wed., Oct. 15th - Dive at Spanish Rock

I'm heading out on Wednesday to hunt some stone crab.

If anyone cares to meet up with me, well that is where I will be. :)

I plan on being there about ten. Any earlier and traffic is pure *^(*&(*&(.

Sounds great. I'll plan on seeing you there at around 10 am. I'll probably be shooting pictures rather than hunting stone crabs but I'm sure we'll have fun!

Doug

Sounds great. I'll plan on seeing you there at around 10 am. I'll probably be shooting pictures rather than hunting stone crabs but I'm sure we'll have fun!

Doug

Just in case: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3373863-post28.html

Wish I could take piccers - my camera broke :sad:

Will be looking forward to Wednesday. :) I think my good friend Scott5644 will be joining us as well.

Okay MissD, I'm gonna ask the stupid question of the year. I've never hunted stone crab cuz I don't eat 'em but I have seen plenty. Just how do you go about catching the little (or big) buggers?

Okay MissD, I'm gonna ask the stupid question of the year. I've never hunted stone crab cuz I don't eat 'em but I have seen plenty. Just how do you go about catching the little (or big) buggers?

Don't suppose you are planning on meeting up with us? That would be fantastic. :thumbs-up:

Anywhoozle, you have to pin them down. Get a hold of them from behind, placing your thumb on the center of their lower back and one or two fingers underneath (too high up on the body and you will get pinched). Once you have a good hold, take your other hand and twist a claw off. :) Be sure it is of legal size, of course. :) They like to put themselves in tight spots/corners so it is often a bit of work trying to reach in behind them. Once you have collected a gallon - let me know and I will come and take them off of your hands :wink1:

FWIW, it is legal to take both claws however, I'm of the mind it is better to leave them with one. You may find this a good read: http://www.floridaconservation.org/marine/recreational/recstonecrab.htm

Gear is loaded in the kah. I'll see everyone at 10:00am

Gear is loaded in the kah. I'll see everyone at 10:00am

See you then :yeahbaby: (I've been packed for a few hours :))

Doug - I'm sending you my number, just in case. Everyone else already has it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom