Question Operating your wing inflator while carrying a dive torch on goodman handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y’all be repeating the same mantras about age old techniques in diving but why not give it some thought as to the benefits of a RH reardump as an alternative?
Because there is absolutely no issue associated with a left hand dump. If there is, it's your (meant to be a generalization not directed at youO) technique and training not the fault of the dump. But more importantly why would gear manufacturers want to reinvent the wheel for a small group of people that don't actually need a rh dump. Also, repetition and familiarity with procedures is exceptionally helpful when things go awry. The standard has been left hand dump for many many years. You go changing it to the right and now if your buddy needs to come pull your dump because you're unconscious and ascending or you have a stuck inflator and he needs to help, you're screwed if he can't remember what side your dump is on.

Didn't you just ask this question and get 23 responses? Why two identical threads?
Something went wrong. I did not even see that it was posted twice. Sorry!

Because there is absolutely no issue associated with a left hand dump...
I’ve listed three downsides so not sure you can say there are none.

Being so instantly dismissive without even considering alternatives is so prevalent in so many sports.

All I’m saying is that it’s worth discussing the benefits of having a RH dump.
When we are all diving a single tec setup it’s no big deal to have a LH dump.

Diving doubles… again NBD
Doubles and a single stage… hmm now we’ve got 1 bottle in the way

CCR with 3 bailouts? Now we’ve got 3bottles in the way, a handset controller and possibly a cable on that arm which get in the way…

Add in a torch to this CCR setup and now you have to swap hands to do anything buoyancy related.

I’m just saying it’s worth the discussion… we are not machines there are human factors involved here… why make life deliberately difficult if it doesn’t have to be? 🤷🏻‍♀️

I know they say it’s for when you are using a scooter with your right hand, that the dump is on the left, but how many of the millions of people diving actually use a scooter and need this exact feature?
Maybe a wing/bp is meant for these divers and not for other diving in the first place? I must admit, it took me a while to get used to left hand dump, but it's not an issue anymore. I even experience benefits because my counterlung dump with my ccr is on my right. It would be very confusing to have both on the right.

So yeah, with scootering and ccr having a left hand dump is beneficial imo.

I’m just saying it’s worth the discussion… we are not machines there are human factors involved here… why make life deliberately difficult if it doesn’t have to be? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Agree, nothing wrong with questioning the things we do. It makes you understand why things are as they are or do them better.

I think it would help to know what kind of diving you do, what kind of goodman handle you have and so on.
Rec diving only, poor viz (±2-5m; or is that not considered poor?) or night viz. Goodman handle is a solid one (and not the velcro ones).
2. When are you in a situation where you need to "quickly dump some air?" Are you in incredibly dynamic ocean environments or caves? Do you have buoyancy issues? (Don't take offense, serious question).
No offense at all. Here to learn! No buoyancy issues at all, but there is always room for improvement. One situation in which I needed to quickly dump air is instructing / diving with novice divers. When they go up, I want to grab them and quickly become negative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom