Operating your wing inflator while carrying a dive torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advanced scuba topic?
I have two hands so operating the wing inflator/dump valve and holding a torch at the same time is never an issue.

Get yourself better weighted, then you don't need to operate your inflator

Grab one of these that suits your wings thread

and make your wing normal, and familiar again

not restricting yourself to only limited dumping
Except those things are horrible. They leak, they auto dump if you use the little velcro strap too tight, they train you to yank on the inflator (and if it doesn't work just yank harder!) there is way more maintenance involved, and they are god-awful in rescue class.

I've seen more than one diver rip off their inflator hose while trying to use a remote dump that had malfunctioned, usually a broken pin or cable.

How would adding one of those things keep him from waving his light around while dumping gas?

Either hand can be used....

My diverite classic came with one....
I have had it and still dive it for 20 years...
Never had a problem....
But I don't use it much either,

Thanks a bunch. This is super useful!
Get yourself better weighted, then you don't need to operate your inflator
Always good advice! I prefer not using my suit too much to trim, also to get the weight off my back.
Is your dump valve on the left side?

I think the canonical way is to grip the torch from the top using your right hand then move it back after needed. (The right hand is holding the light from the top and is not in the handle, this allows to move it back quickly)

Gripping the torch from the top gives a solid grip and is fast and allow you to slide it off/on the handle from your left hand really easily.
yes, left indeed. I can see how your procedure (once trained properly) can be one very smooth movement.

I did not know these existed! If I fail to get used to missing this feature, I will certainly consider them. Thanks!

8:40 mark.
Nice! Very useful!
This is what I do, I don't follow DIR with everything...
LH tail dump gets used normally in trim,
Get use to using it and you will not go back, very handy in an up current.
Good point. To DIR or not to DIR, when is the question!

How would adding one of those things keep him from waving his light around while dumping gas?
Indeed, not entirely possible, but much less of an issue than trying to lift the deflator.

I also have one of the pull dumps, and I use it on every open water dive. Pull dump and butt dump are my go-tos depending on my position in the water.

So with the pull dump, inflator in left hand, light in the right you can see the computer, aim the light, and dump gas at the same time with no fuss.

Back
Top Bottom