Operating your wing inflator while carrying a dive torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayknight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My fellow diving enthusiasts. My first post on something that is keeping me busy of late.

Recently switched to a backplate / wing. But it made me reconsider my setup a bit. As it turns out, I was used (while using a standard BCD) to pulling on the inflator hose to deflate, which is obviously not supported in a wing (at least not by mine).

I do a lot of night dives. For this purpose I have a torch on a goodman handle on my left hand. Computer, compass is on my right. I have trouble operating my inflator / deflator that way (in particular the latter). I find it hard to get a good grip on the in/deflator with thick gloves and goodman handle, and secondly my movement is creating unwanted ‘light signals’.
I have considered switching my instruments with my torch, but this is also suboptimal, as I will not be able to keep an eye out on my instruments while operating my in/deflator. Operating the in/deflator with my right hand also seems a bit weird (and the hose is a tad bit short for that anyway). Temporarily moving the torch to my right hand is also not optimal in case you need to quickly dump some air.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Is your dump valve on the left side?

I think the canonical way is to grip the torch from the top using your right hand then move it back after needed. (The right hand is holding the light from the top and is not in the handle, this allows to move it back quickly)

Gripping the torch from the top gives a solid grip and is fast and allow you to slide it off/on the handle from your left hand really easily.

The three common solutions:
1) shift the goodman handle to the right hand, and then dump (usually using the rear dump)
2) wear the light on your right hand, instruments on the left. Why do you need to monitor your instruments while deflating?
3) keep your instruments on the right, along with your light. Works fine with backlit instruments today. Assumes you are not scootering.

Switch the light to the right hand when using the left hand to adjust using the rear dump, then back. As mentioned above, you can just hold it for the seconds it takes, no need to actually slide your right hand into the handle. You can reach across your chest with your right hand to add a shot of air when needed.

wear the light on your right hand, instruments on the left. Why do you need to monitor your instruments while deflating?

This is what I do, I don't follow DIR with everything...
LH tail dump gets used normally in trim,
Get use to using it and you will not go back, very handy in an up current.

This GUE video explains and shows how I was taught to do it.

Grab one of these that suits your wings thread

and make your wing normal, and familiar again

not restricting yourself to only limited dumping

Grab one of these that suits your wings thread

and make your wing normal, and familiar again

not restricting yourself to only limited dumping

Hum....i really like this, but i suspect i will get crucified if i put it on my stealth and show up in cave country.

n/m i see how it works now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom