Opinions about Abergris Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobydoo

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Let me start by saying that I'm really new to diving (and to this board), and that if I've posted to this topic inappropriately, I apologize (please don't flame me too bad).

Anyway, I have been invited by a group of investors to join in their recent purchase of a dive shop on Ambergris Caye.

Not knowing much about about Belize, diving or Ambergris I have to rely more than normal on the opinions of others to help guide my decision.

I do plan to pay the caye a visit before making any final investment decision, but I am very curious as to avid divers' opinions about. . .

1. Belize
2. Ambergris Caye
3. Any particular dive shops on the caye you've had good or bad experiences with
4. How long your typical diving vacations last, and how long you usually spend in one place
5. Any other opinions (positive and negative) you'd care to share with me, or the board in general

As I am very careful with my investments, and have many large knowledge gaps related to Belize, Abergris, and particular Dive Shops on the caye, I sure would appreciate any information that anyone here might share.

Thanks!

I just got back from Ambergris Caye, C.A. I dove with 'Aqua Dives' Dive shop next to the Sunbreeze Hotel. I had a great time but I heard of other Dive shops there that were better. I was there for 4 days, 3 of which were dive days. My buddy gave 'Amigos' diving a big thumbs up and I also talked to a couple on the island diving with 'Bottom Time' Diving as well. They mentiond that 'Bottom Time' was a great dive shop that made 1st divers experiences a great one. I am a new diver and this was my 1st ocean dive. All of my other dives have been lake dives. I enjoyed my trip but would have liked to have been less rushed and in less crowded conditions. Part of that was because I was in a large group. Hope this info helps. Ambergris Caye is a beautiful place. The dive shops I mentioned are on the coast of the town of San Pedro. I am already looking to plan another trip there again in the future.

It sounds to me you should probably stick to investments you are familiar with, doing buisiness in Belize can be a painful experinece and it takes a very strong personality to make it here.

My suggestion is to pass and invest your money in something you are more comfortable with and familair with.

As far as roofus yes i understand your comments exactly and as Ambergris continues to grow it is destined to become more corwded when diving with the big boys.

You may want to choose a smaller operation next time that will allow you to see the reef in a more calmer speed.

2 operations are focused on small groups of just 6-8 one is myself and the other is barefoot watersports

Best regards

Gaz Cooper

Scoobydoo,

First of all, Welcome to the board. Gaz is gving you some excellent advice. His operation is well known in Belize.

As several friends say, "To make a small fortune in the dive business - start with a large one". I did extensive research into expanding my business into Belize. I also had access to business knowledgeable locals. My analysis showed that any business endeavor or investment by a gringo would be extremely risky. I considered numerous factors such as incentives, taxation, progressive goverment and stability of the economy.

Needless to say, I went elsewhere. Folks like Gaz have paid their dues and deserve to reap their rewards.
Let me get this right- you're going to invest in something you know litttle to nothing about , in a place you know little or nothing about. Too bad I didn't know you when I've needed investors. Just my $.02

Good Luck

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate the time y'all have taken to share your thoughts with me--it does help.

To be clear I'm just considering investing--I haven't made any decisions yet. And since I know so little about this particular industry, and about the location, I thought this board would be a good place to start asking questions (as it, in fact, turned out).

Back
Top Bottom