Opinions/experiences buying refurbished cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm thinking of getting a camera soon, and I found a deal on the one I'm eyeing for a refurbished unit. It's a savings of a bit over 20% vs the lowest retail I can find for a new unit.

So, any thoughts? Woth it? Why are cameras usually refurbished? Are there usually/often defects remaining in refurbs or is it basically a new unit?

I know there are no guarantees in life, but I'm basically just wondering if anyone has any experiences or concrete thoughts about refurbs. Thanks! :D

Gregg

Edit - looks like the warranty on the refurb is 90 days and a new unit gets 1 year. I'm not sure that's a big deal to me. I find things tend to break after the warranty is expired no matter what, but I thought I'd throw that out there too.

I think refurbs are a great way to go, especially when you're on a budget. My two cameras are actually used, instead of refurbs--which is abit more riskier. But I've had good luck with both so far. Paying less for the camera helped me when I had to buy the housing the strobe and the lenses.

Since you're getting a refurb, be glad that you at least have a warranty.

Ericson

Both of my Oly C4000Z's are re-furbished and are over two years old and are still going.

Refurbs can be anything from demo cameras on store shelves to trade ins. If you are buying from the manufacturer, say Olympus, all cameras sold as refurbs have been serviced and made as close to new condition as possible. I've got one refurb and one I bought as new and both have been fine.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Hey y'all,
I know there are no guarantees in life, but I'm basically just wondering if anyone has any experiences or concrete thoughts about refurbs. Thanks! :D
I've bought a couple of refurbished cameras from Kodak and they've both been fine.

I've also bought used equipment from KEH: http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx
And it's all worked fine.

Luke

We have an Olympus 5060 refurb and it's working well. Ok it was working well until I dropped it on the pavement and then the image was inverted on the display screen but it still worked :) Any idea how hard it is to take underwater pictures when the display shows you everything upside down and backwards? :D
Hubby sent it in to see if Olympus can fix it, keep your fingers crossed for me
Ber :lilbunny:

Make sure that the housing is still made for the re-furb unless you're going with an Ikelite. I bought an Olympus re-furb and had seen the housings online, however when I went to order them, they were discontinued. Something I didn't know till I actually hit the order button. I gave the camera to my wife and she has had some issues with it but I think that is just because she hasn't taken the time to get learn to use it.

My Oly E-10 was a refurb, and is still going strong today.

Refurbs IMO mybe BETTER than new in that they are checked out by the manufacture, and likley quality checked out better than most new camera's.

Refurbs are often just returns for no other reason than the fickle consumer, but they run the gamet of everything from demo products to manufacture defects, to nothing wrong.

I'd make sure you at LEAST get a 90 day warranty.

Ber Rabbit:
We have an Olympus 5060 refurb and it's working well. Ok it was working well until I dropped it on the pavement and then the image was inverted on the display screen

Hmm...so it sounds like refurbs are kind of flaky...

Just kidding :wink:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Seems like it might be the way to go. Cheers :D

Back
Top Bottom