Opinions wanted: Swap Oceanic VTX to get a Suunto D6i (or something else?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

I used a VTX for the last 2+ years and had a very mixed experience.

If the computer works, it works and its great. Very clear and easy to read display and customization are to my liking. All this only applies once in the water as the display on land is very hard to read (impossible to read in direct sun light). On top, battery life is terrible and unpredictable.

Now, I just received a brand new replacement unit (the fourth unit in 2 years) as the display went bad and I might have an opportunity to swap out the VTX against a new computer (pending final discussion with my LDS).

I am contemplating to go with a Suunto D6i as it is a solid computer in a watch format (no more extra hauling of a dedicated dive watch in the future).

Long story short, I am wondering if anyone can share an opinion on the D6i (or others) in terms of:
  • true usability for recreational diving
  • ease to read display and button handling (with gloves and in darker waters/night dives)
  • true experience on battery life and ease to swap if needed on the fly
  • will Suunto come out with new models soon (better screen with color display, etc.)?
  • any alternatives to the Suunto?
Thanks for any feedback :)

Hi there,

I used a VTX for the last 2+ years and had a very mixed experience.

If the computer works, it works and its great. Very clear and easy to read display and customization are to my liking. All this only applies once in the water as the display on land is very hard to read (impossible to read in direct sun light). On top, battery life is terrible and unpredictable.

Now, I just received a brand new replacement unit (the fourth unit in 2 years) as the display went bad and I might have an opportunity to swap out the VTX against a new computer (pending final discussion with my LDS).

I am contemplating to go with a Suunto D6i as it is a solid computer in a watch format (no more extra hauling of a dedicated dive watch in the future).

Long story short, I am wondering if anyone can share an opinion on the D6i (or others) in terms of:
  • true usability for recreational diving
  • ease to read display and button handling (with gloves and in darker waters/night dives)
  • true experience on battery life and ease to swap if needed on the fly
  • will Suunto come out with new models soon (better screen with color display, etc.)?
  • any alternatives to the Suunto?
Thanks for any feedback :)

Why not go with the Perdix AI or the Ratio Computers? They both offer you so much more at a competitive price. Once you get to mid to high level computer range at their mid to high level prices, the Perdix AI and Ratio computers have no equal.

Ratio has watch type and big wrist types to choose from:
Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

@MrTW

I assume you have to switch the VTX out for something else your LDS carries, what brands to they carry?

Do you dive the VTX with or without a transmitter? The VTX goes for about $1000 without and $1400 with a transmitter. Just for comparison, Perdix AI goes for $935 without and $1285 with the same transmitter. Now this would be a great trade, I assume, not possible.

Do you dive your VTX in DSAT or PZ+? If you dive DSAT, you might find the Suunto very conservative.

Why would anyone go with a $1200 D6i when you could get a Perdix for that price? (Or go used for $500-$600)

I will say... I drank the SB kool-aid. I love my Perdix (got it 'used' in the classified forum, even though the old owner never got it wet).

If you already have the transmitter for the VTX, the Perdix AI is a no brainer!! Get rid of the VTX wrist unit, keep the VTX transmitter and buy the Perdix AI without transmitter and then use the Perdix with the transmitter you already have and you will have possibly one of the 3 best AI dive computers out there.

My two pennies:

Suunto is still very popular, so it has good resale value. And it has great design. Most of their stuff just looks very good, especially their watch-sized computers. The competition invariably comes up with piss poor design watches.

I have been browsing for a new computer in the past few weeks and was close to digging out 750 Euros for their D6i Novo zulu, which looks kick ass (I think).

But then I slept on it and realised that I had forgotten what I'd started out doing in the first place: finding a dive computer with value for money. And in my opinion Suunto is anything but that, even here in Europe where Suunto products seem to be quite cheaper than in the US.

To be honest I think they have started lagging behind a bit. If you look at their new line of products, it's just the old stuff with a new lick of paint and the word Novo added (the irony!). Except for the Eon, which is new, but not really a winner, so it seems.

If I were you, I'd try to get my money back and take your time to look around carefully, checking for good second hand deals. But that may not be possible in this case, so you'd be bound by what your LDS has on the shelves. In that case make sure not to confuse what you want with what you need.

All that said, the D6i is a pretty looking watch of course.

Good luck

Why not go with the Perdix AI or the Ratio Computers? They both offer you so much more at a competitive price. Once you get to mid to high level computer range at their mid to high level prices, the Perdix AI and Ratio computers have no equal.

Ratio has watch type and big wrist types to choose from:
Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

This is good information - I will check out the Ratio computers too. Thank you :)

As others said, what's on offer other than Suunto and for how much?

@MrTW

I assume you have to switch the VTX out for something else your LDS carries, what brands to they carry?

Do you dive the VTX with or without a transmitter? The VTX goes for about $1000 without and $1400 with a transmitter. Just for comparison, Perdix AI goes for $935 without and $1285 with the same transmitter. Now this would be a great trade, I assume, not possible.

Do you dive your VTX in DSAT or PZ+? If you dive DSAT, you might find the Suunto very conservative.

I would not ask about a straight up refund and would be happy with store credit - after all i did use the VTX for a good while.

A Perdix trade should be a possibility I would assume

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom