Optical lenses. Do they Fog? Is it safe to burn w/ Lighter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ioannis

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Aqualung Look Mask. I am wearing contact lenses when I dive but i am tired of it and I want to purchase the optical lenses that are available for this model.
As in every mask I had till now, when I unbox it I burn the lense with Lighter from inside to prevent fogging.

Is it safe to do that on the Aqualung optical lense too? Or it will damage the optical prescription grade?

Thank you

I have a few different masks (Dive Rite, Mares, IST) with optical lenses in them. They will fog occasionally, but it isn't due to any residual coating on them like regular (non-prescription) lenses.

I do not burn the prescription lenses, like I have done on regular masks.
I just use spit, or sea drops (or similar products).....called "shark jizz" by the Marines and Sailors I dive with.

If I forget to do anything to the mask pre-dive, I usually just flood my mask a little bit and slosh the water around if I end up with any fogging during the dive.

Last edited:
Do not burn optical lenses. Totally unnecessary.

a good rub with tooth paste - at least a minute/lens. Seems to work well. Repeat as needed once the de-fog goo stops loosing it's effectiveness

Back
Top Bottom