Orange County instructor recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

An aquaintance of mine mentioned going to Sports Ghetto for dive instruction. I suggested that there may be better options and offered to try an find a quality instructor. Can you all make some recommendations?

Thanks.

Steve

I would try some of the NAUI instructors at New England Divers in Long Beach. Or maybe some of the NAUI instructors at Ocean Gear in Santa Anna. Both will give you a great experience. New Englands #562 421-8939 Ocean Gear #714 375-0595.

Thanks Firewalker,

I appreciate the recommendation. Do you know if they have a location in South OC?

Steve

Scuba World is another NAUI store they are in Orange. # 714 998-6382. These are the only programs I would recommend. Most of the rest of the stores in the OC are run of the mill Padi programs (I hate to say it but I wouldn't recommend any of them).
Your scuba experience will be much better if you start with a good entry level program.
Jim

Do not go to Ocean Gear...2 weeks late with study material..Horrible service, arrogant conceited attitude ,rediculous testing, .cant schedule dives, 11 students on 1st o.w. dive with 1 instructor and 2 assitance...If your comfortable in the water Sport Chalet is not that bad ,They get the job done and there are Better shops closer to the water example Huntington Beach and Irvine. 25% off this weekend only..If you want great service Try Private Scuba for NAUI or Beach Cities for PADI.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the recommendations. I have passed them on and encouraged my friend to join the Scubaboard community.

Just an observation about the negative Ocean Gear OW report. Since the poster indicates he has been diving for 6-10 years, this sounds like a report from a class taken years ago. Private Scuba is a good recommendation. Sports Chalet can be hit or miss. Beach Cities is known for its high pressure sales, particularly with new students.

I used to teach out of Orange at PacWild on Tustin Ave. Contact OCLawyer via PM. Bill is rarely on SB, but is an enthusiastic dive instructor who's been diving OC shores for a long time. PM me if you would like additional contact info.

Back
Top Bottom