Original Bauer parts or Lawrence Factor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My compressor (Bauer Mariner II) is due for its 5000 hour overhaul and I am considering buying the Lawrence Factor overhaul kit.

The kit contains:
Valve overhaul kit
Gasket kit with sealant
Ring overhaul kit with floating piston
Bearing replacement kit
intake filter element
oil change
set of head bolts and other fasteners

In the past I have always used Bauer parts (as needed), but it appears as if the LF kit offers a substantial price advantage for a major overhaul. I have never used LF parts, so I am somewhat wary of trying something new. Does anyone have any experience using LF parts? Would it be a mistake to switch over to LF? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Now you've broached a subject that gets my blood pressure up. OEM parts are the biggest racket in the Air Compressor business. Although I do not run Bauers (I have Makos instead), the principal is the same. I used to pay about $400 for a 4th stage piston and liner. One year they were $1,000, the next $1,250. I asked my dealer wtf, and he responded that Mako could no longer compete and profit on new machines, so they were going to make all their money on parts.

I'm easily as smart as the folks at Mako, and since they make nothing, they just package other folks compressors, I figured that most of their suppliers would sell to me directly, as long as I didn't use a Mako part number. In some cases, I had to send old parts for them to match, but I cut my parts bill by 75 to 80%.

Short answer is that I don't know where LF gets their parts, but if they are as smart as the next guy, they get them from the OEM supplier to Bauer, and they will be carrying Mako parts for my compressor by this year sometime. Buy the LF parts by all means.

Actually, most of L-Factor's NEW PARTS are made by us....in the USA! We can control quality, price, and availablity. We now have parts to fit Mako, Reavell, Posiedon too! Most items ship same day. No expedite fees. Almost NEVER out of stock. Check us out at compressor-parts.com

Actually, most of L-Factor's NEW PARTS are made by us....in the USA! We can control quality, price, and availablity. We now have parts to fit Mako, Reavell, Posiedon too! Most items ship same day. No expedite fees. Almost NEVER out of stock. Check us out at compressor-parts.com

Still not making many parts for the 5406E's, except 4th stage valves. Any intent to expand? I'm a little peeved at the price for 4th stage piston and liners this year, at $1,465, while the newer 5407 sleeves are $499.

Hi Capt Frank Wasson,

I'm Gabe Kaplan, Lawrence Factor New Parts, Customer Support. I'm not sure if Skatelaw (his new username is Compressor Coach) answered your question.

We are currently in the R&D stage for parts to fit 5406 and 5407 Reavell compressor Blocks (Mako Blocks). These parts should be available within 1 year. It's hard to say with a degree of accuracy, but please be aware that we are working hard on this. Also, like Compressor Coach explained, we manufacture our parts to fit most major brands.

Thanks, Gabe Kaplan, for your info. I will wait patiently for you to make Reavell/Mako parts to fit my machines.

I tell you what, I swear by LF parts!! I recently purchased a Bauer Mariner and seriously spent fractions on LF parts versus true Bauer parts.. My parts were on my door step within 3 days! VERY high quality parts to boot.

Plus, Larry and the guys are SUPER helpful! I got responses to in depth technical "how to" questions within hours! even on like sundays! I never even got this level of technical support with paid for services.. He even hooked me up with their local distributors that are Bauer reps for specific parts they dont carry..

LF and compressor-parts.com have my 100% backing!! You cant go wrong, seriously!

My compressor would not be running today if it wasnt for them, and I'd probably be out of another couple of thousand in parts and labor to get it running through bauer shops!

BTW - there is a video on their web site that tours the facility and manufacturing process, go check it out! Classy operation!!

thats my 2 psi :)

Hi kdupreez

Wow! Thank you very much for your kind words and support! I’m Gabe Kaplan, New Parts division Customer Support. Larry, myself, and all of us at Lawrence Factor work very hard to bring fast quality solutions to the hi pressure compressor industry. Please don’t hesitate to contact us in the future if you need technical help or otherwise!

Thanks for the info guys. It is that time of year for me to get everything ready for the season. Now to find what I need.

By the way...Craig Clark handles our products....including all 3 product divisions: Filters & Filter Systems, Air Analysis, and Compressor Parts. We generally only offer our products thru authorized resellers....i highly recommend Craig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom