Oriskany ("O" Boat) update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey,

When someone hears about the final decision, I would appreciate it very much if they would post it here. Hate to find out a few months later in some dive mag. Thanks!

From Jax to North Carolina would be GREAT. The spearfishing is already tremondous in those areas.

But I hear the list of states that want the carrier could exceed 20. It would seem practicial to keep in it the Gulf. But it would be cool out of Jax.

The Oriskany headed down the Neches river Monday morning on her way to Corpus to be cleaned before being sunk. The Navy hasn't awarded a location yet, but now I see how Corpus is so strong in the running, they won't have to pay for her to be towed very far after she's cleaned versus Pensecola having to pay to tow her halfway across the Gulf.

Chris

An obscure florida report listed the costs of towing for them as being around $150,000. I'm assuming that's from Corpus. That figure doesn't seem too far off...

we desperately need to get some kind of close-in (20 -30 miles) reefs going on, because the rigs are slowly dissapearing. this would leave the day-charter boats non-existant in a few years. we need to get some kind of petition going to get some boats here on our part of the gulf. im glad chorpus is pushing as hard as they are for this.

If you "keep your pants on," the inshore rigs will be making a comeback. The latest and greatest thing from marine petroleum exploration is drilling REALLY REALLY DEEP, but in shallow water.

What, how is this amazing feat possible?!

Well, not being a petroleum engineer, I haven't a frickin' clue. But the wizards at the world's premier petroleum engineering university (yes it's aggies, SAY IT!!) have figured that vast piles of oil, gas, and feta cheese lie buried deep beneath the sediments on a whole other level beyond what was normally thought... a pocket under the pocket, as it were.

Yes, once again, modern science has proven that petroleum, while not inexhaustible, bears striking parallels with the Energizer Bunny, as it keeps going, and going, and going... another grim setback for the end-of-oil naysayers, but there's always tomorrow.

Recent test drills have shown these deposits to be underlying older ones found along the shallow Gulf coast. So expect to see new rigs being built, but as you are probably aware most of the offshore petroleum industry is concentrated off the coast of Louisiana/Alabama. Texas is comparative peanuts. And the current trend is "bigger, better" so you'll see the heap of little platforms replaced with the great big platform. It's better for the environment anyway.

And if you can't wait, I'm sure Texas will get a significant portion of the ships MARAD is planning to sell off as artificial reefs. There's a rusty armada (led by the Oriskany) ripe for the picking, and that underwater junkyard we call Florida will soon run of water to sink stuff in, else become an enormous slalom course.

Just curious as to what the situation is with the sinking of the Oriskany. Anyone heard anything lately?

I heard that the group studying the location had recommended Pensacola. This means a 2 hour boat ride to get to water deep enough to sink her. I love Pensacola diving but this ship can attract many, many more divers if it were sunk off of the East Florida coast. I know there is a web site dedicated to this event. I just haven't found it yet.

BILLB:
I heard that the group studying the location had recommended Pensacola. This means a 2 hour boat ride to get to water deep enough to sink her. I love Pensacola diving but this ship can attract many, many more divers if it were sunk off of the East Florida coast. I know there is a web site dedicated to this event. I just haven't found it yet.

The approximate location is about 22 nm from Pensacola Pass, and 32 nm from Destin pass. It will take me an hour and a half in my slow boat (from Destin), but I have friends who could make it in 45 minutes (in calm seas).

Its about an hour and a half run for me in the big boat, and a bit over an hour in the little one, assuming reasonable sea state (if its not, I won't be going at all!)

If/when it comes here, I will be out there the day it goes down, if the weather permits, and will be shooting video. It should be an awesome thing to watch - and I'll be there regularly to dive her as well :D

Back
Top Bottom