Oriskany on her Way to Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is some perspective for you... note the worker standing on the flight deck...the island will be a dive all unto itself.

oriskany703_1main.jpg

Here is another artist's conception of what the ship will look like on the bottom...though this picture is not to scale at all...

oriskany_offshore.jpg

Hopefully they will attach some vintage planes to go down with her...that would be very cool...

For tech divers going below 130' just -- the openings just under the flight deck is the hangar deck which is an open space big enough to store all the aircarft on board... i.e. big enough to drive a fleet of buses through side by side without a problem -- that might make an easy "swim through" depending at what depth she settles to.

Also note that the picture was made when some folks were still hoping the wreck would come down here to Miami.

"130 feet? Ugh, too deep! Bottom time with a single alum 80 will be mere seconds."

I don't see that. I have dove 130 feet with a single 80 and stayed my deco limit and had approximately 1,000 psi remaining at the beginning of my safety stop. Still, 130 feet is deep enough to cause problems for many and will tempt others to over extend themselves. N

The Ex-Oriskany will be a multi level dive that many can enjoy, if all goes as planned she will sit upright in 215-220 ft. The deck will be at 130 and the top of the tower will be at 60ft.
The location will be 20 some miles out in the Gulf of Mexico about half way between Pensacola and Destin, so will be close to both passes. Being that far out, the vis can get 70-80 ft so even at the middle of the tower you will have a lot to look at.
The tech divers will have even more to dive, but hopefully they will exercise caution and use all the skills needed for those depths.
Our local hospital has announced plans to open a deco chamber here in Pensacola, lets hope they don't do much bussiness.
If eveyone dives their training, this will be an awesome attraction for all to come and see.
Alan

Nemrod:
"130 feet? Ugh, too deep! Bottom time with a single alum 80 will be mere seconds."

I don't see that. I have dove 130 feet with a single 80 and stayed my deco limit and had approximately 1,000 psi remaining at the beginning of my safety stop. Still, 130 feet is deep enough to cause problems for many and will tempt others to over extend themselves. N

According to the NAUI dive table, max bottom time is 8 minutes at 130ft. I'm just a recreational diver, and 130 feet is near the boundary of recreational and technical diving. If the flight deck was at say, 60 or 70 feet, it would be a much longer and safer dive. Whats the problem with having the carrier at a shallower depth? Just attach a buoy to the highest point of the ship, so boats don't run into it.

DavidPT40:
According to the NAUI dive table, max bottom time is 8 minutes at 130ft. I'm just a recreational diver, and 130 feet is near the boundary of recreational and technical diving. If the flight deck was at say, 60 or 70 feet, it would be a much longer and safer dive. Whats the problem with having the carrier at a shallower depth? Just attach a buoy to the highest point of the ship, so boats don't run into it.

The deeper she is the longer she will stay intact. Shallow wreaks don’t survive very long.

Also -

Putting the all the enticing deep dark passageways and rooms that lie below the flight deck out of recreational limits will save a large number of lives over the coming years. Beginners and overheads don’t mix.

Looks like a fantasic wreak - I’m already salivating over the photos of her… :) Hope she sinks OK.

Cheers,
Rohan

Coast guard requires 50' minimum clearance over any structure in our area.

DavidPT40:
If the flight deck was at 70', the superstructure would be just clearing the surface, which would make the top of the superstructure undiveable do to wave action. Plus the first hurricane would remove most of the upper parts of the ship, and the rest would fall apart in short order.

Tassie_Rohan:
Putting the all the enticing deep dark passageways and rooms that lie below the flight deck out of recreational limits will save a large number of lives over the coming years. Beginners and overheads don’t mix.

Very good point Rohan. I'm a new diver and I'm also interested in eventually moving up to more and more advance wreck diving, hopefully at the technical level. This requires experience and training. I for one, like many others I'm sure, will now have another wreck out there that is out of reach and can serve as motivation for practice, training and an eventual move into tech diving. I can only begin to imagine what it would be like to descend down to and below the deck and then move into the hanger. That would just have to be simply amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom