Orlando area Firefighter dies during Mini-season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BWDscott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
South Lake County, Florida USA (SW of Orlando)
# of dives
500 - 999
A Reedy Creek firefighter, husband, father, and friend to many, died during mini-season...

The man killed in a diving accident Wednesday was identified today as Shane Slusarz, a firefighter with the Reedy Creek Fire Department.

Slusarz, 35, previously worked for five years for the Seminole County Fire Department, leaving in October 2008 to join the Reedy Creek department, officials said.

Slusarz was easygoing, exemplified by one of his favorite expressions, "It's all good," said Reedy Creek Deputy Fire Chief Bo Jones. The department covers the Walt Disney World area, including Lake Buena Vista.

"He was very laid back," Jones said. "Nothing really got him upset or excited. Just a nice guy."

Slusarz was diving for lobsters with three friends in Pelican Flats, about 15 miles northeast of Sebastian Inlet, when something went wrong. Maj. Greg Purden of the Brevard County Sheriff's Office said. by the time their boat got back to shore about 4 p.m., Slusarz had died. A cause of death has not been released.

Slusarz of Winter Springs leaves a wife and a daughter, Jones said.

"He was a valued and respected member of our organization," Seminole County Fire Chief Leeanna Raw said in a statement. "He will be missed by all and on behalf of our Department, condolences go out to Shane's family and friends."

Another diver died also Wednesday during Florida's two-day spiny lobster sport "mini-season." The body of the 47-year-old was found off Haulover Beach in Miami. The cause was being determined. Five people died during last year's mini-season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report..

My condolences. Such a shame, so young. I hope the best for his widow and daughter.

All too common loss to mini-season there. Divers are too often not prepared, old gear not service, borrowed gear, maybe not even certified - and hunters tend to not stay in buddy teams.

Condolences to the family.

On deco stop they had a bet going to how many died during this years season. Looks like most were one off.

A Reedy Creek firefighter, husband, father, and friend to many, died during mini-season...

The man killed in a diving accident Wednesday was identified today as Shane Slusarz, a firefighter with the Reedy Creek Fire Department.

Slusarz, 35, previously worked for five years for the Seminole County Fire Department, leaving in October 2008 to join the Reedy Creek department, officials said.

Slusarz was easygoing, exemplified by one of his favorite expressions, "It's all good," said Reedy Creek Deputy Fire Chief Bo Jones. The department covers the Walt Disney World area, including Lake Buena Vista.

"He was very laid back," Jones said. "Nothing really got him upset or excited. Just a nice guy."

Slusarz was diving for lobsters with three friends in Pelican Flats, about 15 miles northeast of Sebastian Inlet, when something went wrong. Maj. Greg Purden of the Brevard County Sheriff's Office said. by the time their boat got back to shore about 4 p.m., Slusarz had died. A cause of death has not been released.

Slusarz of Winter Springs leaves a wife and a daughter, Jones said.

"He was a valued and respected member of our organization," Seminole County Fire Chief Leeanna Raw said in a statement. "He will be missed by all and on behalf of our Department, condolences go out to Shane's family and friends."

Another diver died also Wednesday during Florida's two-day spiny lobster sport "mini-season." The body of the 47-year-old was found off Haulover Beach in Miami. The cause was being determined. Five people died during last year's mini-season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report..

Looking for any of the following claims in the above.......

Divers are too often not prepared, old gear not service, borrowed gear, maybe not even certified - and hunters tend to not stay in buddy teams.

I found none.

Just curious and have a question. Just now familiar with what mini season is. They call me nuts for cave diving but this mini season has a terrible rep. Just wandering why so many accidents? Condolences to friends and family of all.

Ya whats the deal? the spiny lobster got some sort of venom we dont know about? they real deep? protected by green peace? what gives, why are divers dying in a mini-season? just open water right?

Just curious and have a question. Just now familiar with what mini season is. They call me nuts for cave diving but this mini season has a terrible rep. Just wandering why so many accidents? Condolences to friends and family of all.

Kevin,

It brings lots of people out that aren't "up to date" on their diving and/or boating skills. Often their boating or diving gear is not in top service either.

add that to poor or out of practice diving skills, and it can be a recipe for disaster.

usually "Mini Season" results in several deaths because of things like this.

It's the equivalent of "Opening day of hunting season" in a wildlife management area that anyone can hunt in. TONS of hunters show up on opening day not really prepared and often accidents occur when that happens.

Not saying that's what happened here, as all the facts aren't known in the above case. but is a general basis of a lot of the incidents.

Well that comparison to hunting on public land said it all.. Thanks Mike. I was curious cause when i am in the gulf I usually hunt for mud bugs. Just could not see the issue but now I do.

Kevin,

It brings lots of people out that aren't "up to date" on their diving and/or boating skills. Often their boating or diving gear is not in top service either.

add that to poor or out of practice diving skills, and it can be a recipe for disaster.

usually "Mini Season" results in several deaths because of things like this.

It's the equivalent of "Opening day of hunting season" in a wildlife management area that anyone can hunt in. TONS of hunters show up on opening day not really prepared and often accidents occur when that happens.

Not saying that's what happened here, as all the facts aren't known in the above case. but is a general basis of a lot of the incidents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom