Orlando area Firefighter dies during Mini-season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally think that is quite the leap you just took there in determining that this was oxygen toxicity. We do not even know what the "Nitrox" mix was. Remember that any mix greater than the 21% (rounded :wink:) O2 content air is considered a Nitrox or EANx mix. This diver might have been diving 25%. Maybe 32% or 36%. Ox Tox can take the form of a seizure but that does not mean that is what happened here. Let's wait to see what is determined by the professionals (and no I do not mean those that spend all day in SB's A&I forum).

Definitely sounds like it could have been oxygen toxicity. The initial tv news reports on the day that it happened said that he had suffered a seizure at 95 ft. This article mentions that they were diving Nitrox.
The key word being could, for while certainly possible and a reasonable suspicion, doesn't prove anything - not that proving things is the real goal here. The hope on this forum is to try to learn how to avoid similar accidents. As it often the case, we may well never know. We try to pick up safety pointers while having the inevitable discussions, as well as dispell any wild rumors that may surfce.
Let's wait to see what is determined by the professionals (and no I do not mean those that spend all day in SB's A&I forum).
A nice sounding idea. We seldom get the facts; just learn what we can here or there. It would be nice to see the dive computer info on the dives, but not likely.

I personally think that is quite the leap you just took there in determining that this was oxygen toxicity. We do not even know what the "Nitrox" mix was. Remember that any mix greater than the 21% (rounded :wink:) O2 content air is considered a Nitrox or EANx mix. This diver might have been diving 25%. Maybe 32% or 36%. Ox Tox can take the form of a seizure but that does not mean that is what happened here. Let's wait to see what is determined by the professionals (and no I do not mean those that spend all day in SB's A&I forum).

I didn't determine anything. Re-read my post. I simply said according to what the news has realased it could have been ox tox.... third tank in 90-100 ft. and possible seizure. The police were all over the dock when they returned so there will be a complete investigation. Thanks for the lesson in Nitrox diving it's all I do and have done for years. Maybe try lightening up a little before you jump all over someone who was just trying to contribute to a very sad thread.

Definitely sounds like it could have been oxygen toxicity

This response is only triggered by your post but is not directed at you per se. The problem with many of these threads is that people come in and make wild speculations all over the place about conditions, diver skill/training, causes etc.. Some threads such as this actually turn out some good information and food for thought but most are just people spewing specualtion. One person speculates it and "three" pages later someone else quotes it as fact and the event is wrongly altered.....not a new scenario here. The reality is, we do not know what it was and likely never will. Therefore, is there any point in muddying the waters around this diver's name? Perhaps you could open a thread in the Advanced Scuba Forum to discuss the effects of Ox Tox, the forms it can take and the likelihood of it happening at a relatively shallow depth etc. That would be a good discussion that could happen without confusing this particular event.

The autopsy results show a pulmonary embolism which was a clot that travels from the legs and lodges in the great vessels leading to the heart and stops blood flow to the heart, this is not a diving accident, ....here are the details:

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=89941

Thanks sweetspot - it's so rare that we do get end facts here.

I ignored a DVT and still went diving once. Luck is always in play, as I lucked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom