orlando area technical dive training recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i am looking for any recommendations you all might have for a dive center in the orlando area that offers entry level technical training. specifically the tdi adv nitrox/deco combo course. i would prefer to do the tdi courses but if you have recommendations for a dive center in that area that offers the equivalent training with another agency i would love to hear that as well. thx

i was just about to edit my post saying i had found dayo and dive station/florida dive institute. was hoping someone has had personal experience on one of them they could share

I have lots of experience with Dayo and their instructors. What specifically would you like to know? I would take a course from TJ or Carol. They bring me lots of divers, all seem to be fine, competent divers....

I have lots of experience with Dayo and their instructors. What specifically would you like to know? I would take a course from TJ or Carol. They bring me lots of divers, all seem to be fine, competent divers....

just looking for opinions on the quality of training etc. thumbs up or thumbs down so to speak. only thuing i found so far was 6 reviews on trip advisor. half of which were "terrible". but i have learned that trip advisor is not exactly the most reliable source for scuba reviews. haha any input you can offer is appreciated

I don't read trip advisor, I find that most folks who post have an axe to grind. With that said, you need to go on in and meet with whomever they would assign as instructors for a class. Not everyone gets along with TJ, I do just fine. Carol is a brilliant engineer and pilots BUFF cargo planes for UPS for wages, she teaches scuba for fun, mostly up in cave country. Although they do get their gear salty, their focus is on caves, so if you want the focus to be in the ocean, you need to let them know that, otherwise, they will be assuming that you would be a budding cave diver.

As I said before, their divers seem to be competent, and eager to dive.

I took my AN/Deco Procedures with Dayo. Great shop and people. You will probably train in Hudson Grotto which is really bad but makes for excellent skills training. TJ can be gruff but is a nice guy once you get to know him. He does have a dry sense of humor though. Denise is cool as is Carol and Tyler. The shop is very good and reasonably priced. I bought almost all of my Tech gear there. I still drive 50 miles each way to have them fill my gas and do my VIPs and other maintenance. I feel I learned a lot from them and was happy to have done AN/DP there. I recommend them often.

As Wookie said, they are primary cave divers but do a lot of other dives and events.

As there is no technical diving in Orlando I wouldn't worry about finding a local instructor.
Just find a good one as you'll have to drive pretty far to a dive site anyway

As there is no technical diving in Orlando I wouldn't worry about finding a local instructor.
Just find a good one as you'll have to drive pretty far to a dive site anyway

forgive my ignorance......so there is nowhere in the orlando area that offers deep enough ow to do these courses ? i was under the impression there were places nearby. can you pls clarify. if i am going to have to drive hours away i may as well try to find a shop near one of they sites.
if this "hudson grotto" as mentioned above is the closest, are you guys aware of any in that area?
thx in advance

Are you going to be in Orlando for something other than taking AN/DP? Dayo is fine, but not the end all be all of dive instruction. Are you planning for salty dives (Open Water), or cave dives? What is your objective for AN/DP? Wrecks or to just complete the class and learn some new skills?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom