Orlando in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in Orlando for a week in February on business and would love to get a bit of diving in while I am there. I will be occupied most days until 4:30pm but may be able to sneak out early a day or two and may have one or two days on either end of the trip free.

What are the nearest good fresh water dives? What are the best ocean dives reachable from Orlando if I have only one full day to dive? How do I talk the Boss into giving me two more days to dive & calling it training?

Thanks

Steve

Cavern class can be done in 2 days....a great way to get a peak at some of the springs. Blue spring, the closest fresh water dive, is closed (usually) until March 1st. Paradise/Alexander/Ginnie are probably the next closest fresh water dives.

As ScubaStud mentioned many of the springs in florida are close to orlando area, paradise, alexander, blue, devils den, etc.... 72 degrees year round, and crystal clear water!

As for ocean diving, a hour and a half car ride should get you to New Smrynia (south of daytona) for some ocean diving. The charter that goes out from there is sea dogs. I went with them a time or two and enjoyed the experience.

The charters in daytona area left in the mornings and only during the work week. :depressed: That charter was on the bridge in Port Orange area.

I dive all the nearby (and not so nearby) springs on a regular basis.
Let me know when you are in town and we can set something up. I recommend paradise, its deep and not that far from Orlando, takes me about an hour to get there but I drive fast..

Blue springs is great but is closed till March.

Definitely need to go in the morning though, leaving at 4 or 5 p.m. won't work, most places wont let divers in past a certain time, and most places don't allow night dives.

Thanks for the replies.
Are the Spring dives suitable for a diver who is not certified for overhead enviroments?

Also,

Is there any ocean diving worth driving from Orlando for?

Thanks again.

Steve

Yes there are many springs in Florida that allow OW divers. Some are overhead environments but they are so large in size they allow OW divers to enter them.
Some of these springs include:
Ginnie Springs
Blue Grotto
Paradise Springs

There are also plenty of springs that have no overhead whatsoever.
No good ocean diving near Orlando, you gotta head south at least to Jupiter to get some good ocean dives in. About 2 hr drive give or take.

Here is a really good guide to some of the sites around Orlando (note you will have to drive a minimum of about an hour and half to do ANY spring diving from Orlando)

TampaDiving.com :: Florida Cave & Cavern Systems

Cyberfed,

It looks like I will be arriving on Feb 14 and will have all of the 15th available to dive. I may also be able to take most of the day on the 18th or 19th.

Thanks

Steve

I just moved from Orlando, I am new to diving and got certified up there. I never enjoyed the fresh water dives. If you are looking for life under the water, I would head down to Jupiter, FL. It's about a 2 hour drive away and there are tons of good boats that will take you out. Clarity is great, water temps in Feb. are cool but not too bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom