OT - Peru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which month is best to visit Peru?

I have read June through September - but was suprised at this since it would be the winter there?

May - June or July would work best for my schedule.

Any comments from the more experienced than me?

Yeap, Peru is in the souther hemisphere. So June-September would be their winter season. Doesn't get that cold, though, unless you go up into the mountains.

We went in may which is a shoulder season. The winter months are more popular.

We went in August. On the coast (Lima) and in the Amazon the weather was mild. Short sleeves in the sun, but a little nippy in the evenings. In the mountains (Cuzco, Inca trail) it was again short sleeves in the sun again, but in the shade and the evenings was definitely polar fleece.

Anyone ever do any diving in Peru? I know it's not that popular down there, but there's lots and lots of coastline, so there must be something to see!

I didn't do any diving when I was there. I did notice a lot of spearos snorkelling in Miraflores in Lima. And I'm pretty sure Jacques Cousteau did some exploration diving in Lake Titicaca looking for lost worlds beneath the surface. At 12,000'+ that's some high altitude diving :)

And I'm pretty sure Jacques Cousteau did some exploration diving in Lake Titicaca looking for lost worlds beneath the surface. At 12,000'+ that's some high altitude diving :)

hahahha:D
I went to Peru in August-Sept last year. Weather was very mild, especially in Manu ( Amazon). It would have been hotter if not because of the Earthquake that happened on a day of my arrival (that's what locals said).
But winter (June-Sept) months are the best to hike because it's a dry season in the Andes. Super hot in Cusco during the day but at night you definitely need a light jacket ( hats and gloves can be purchased upon arrival :)

I have been to the beaches in peru and didnt see anything remotely diving involved. Their beach resort areas outside of Lima are very "third world" if you know what I mean. And Lima's coast looks real crappy to dive, alot of pollution and deep, dark water right off the beach.

Hi,
I live in Peru for 13 years and i am new in this forum. Diving in Peru is not well known, but we do dive. Near Lima, we have one or two places, but best for diving is the North of Peru near Puira.
Here in Lima, the ocean is cold, the visibility realy bad, but because there is nothing else close to, we always practice , so it can' t be bad either. Only 2 diving centers en Lima, if you need contacts, i will send the information.

To visit Peru, you must know that the country is split in 3 regions, coast, amazon, and the andes mountains.
If you want to visit ( like every tourist does) Macchu Picchu, better come from June to October because there is no rain, but the weather can be realy cold.
If you have any questions about Peru and diving, feel free to ask.
Regards
Gilles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom