OT - Peru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great thread, I am likewise planning a Peru trip, might even get a day of diving in down at Paracas? As far as elevation goes don't dive then go up in elevation the same day. Cusco is at almost 11,000 feet and some people will get elevation sickness. One suggestion is to descend in elevation after arriving in Cusco. Aspirin and lots of water can help a lot. Dexedrine sp? (acetazolamide) is an option for the prevention of elevation sickness. I have heard that the Coca tea helps with elevation as well. Does anyone have more info on diving around Paracas?

Winter is actualy from june, 21 to september 22, but it' s dry and realy cold in the Andes mountains ( Cusco, Puno, etc...), and during summer time in the coast, it' s rainy in the Andes, so travel to cusco better around August,September,October,April,May. Actualy, the temperature during the night in the Andes is around -20°C.

" have heard that the Coca tea helps with elevation as well. Does anyone have more info on diving around Paracas?"

you will have a mate de Coca arriving at the hotel , better than aspirin.
Send a message to Perudivers or Aquasport to see if they organise something around, but everything has to be organised from Lima, travel, 4x4 cars,hotels, etc.... and not sure Paracas is ready to received Tourists yet ,because of the earthquake of August 2007 who destroyed the Paracas hotel .

We just been there after a Galapagos cruise, beginning of June. Peru was great (besides Lima).
Our summer is the better time to visit. Beware of the altidute, better take some pills for prevention. I had a "trreible hangover" in Cuzco after being in Macchu Picchu before.
And yes, coca tee helps......
Have fun, Peter

Back
Top Bottom