OT - Peru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is scuba diving in Peru. It is not that well known, but it is there.

Peru has been improving their poverty and economic status in the past decade, but very few people can afford their own private gear. If you think diving equipment is expensive here, wait until you see the prices there. There has been a slight improvement in prices over the past 3 years, but that does not meant that is still easily affordable.

You will find a lot of spearos who also get to don gear when they get the chance to rent it.

There used to be a shop advertised many years ago in the perudivers.com website. The site has horrendous navigation and I have not returned in a long time. There's another operator called AQUAPROA who posted a few videos in YouTube. I have not seen much from them lately.

A popular diving spot south of Lima is Pucusana. Many good comments about it. Ditto for Playa Tortugas located in Ancash, way north of Lima.

Inka was right about the Peruvian north. Most of the good diving with more temperate waters and better visibility can be found in the areas of Mancora and Punta Sal.

If anything, you can always relax a the beach with a good Ceviche and a cold beer.

Have a great time!

Only joined Scuba Board last week so I'm slowly making my way to all the different forums.

DeputyDan, I am not a Peru expert but visited in late Aug/early Sept 2006 and can give some quick takeaways from my vacation. If you want details you can PM me.

Dress in layers because it was warm during the day but cooler at night in the Sacred Valley, Cusco, Pisac, Lima and Machu Picchu. Did not hike the Inca Trail but took the train from Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu. You'll need a turtleneck and fleece if you're visiting Lake Titicaca with her floating islands. If you're going to see the Nazca lines in Ica it will be very warm during the day. I didn't make it to the Amazon on this trip.

I had issues with breathing (shortness of breath, winded feeling throughout the day, dull headache) because of the altitude at the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Cusco, Lake Titicaca and Pisac but was fine once I landed in Lima (sea level).

Ceviches was so fresh and delicious that I enjoyed it almost every day. All the grilled meats were tasty and more varieties of potatoes than you will every see in your life (and it's all delicious). Try their pisco sour which contains pisco (a regional brandy), sip slowly...

I wasn't a diver when I visited Peru, strictly a land-based tourist then.

Last edited:
Yup it's winter but they don't have the season as we know it. My brother went last year and he told me that they have dry and rain season, so it's better to go on May to September. Here's some info about Cusco [U=http://wikitravel.org/en/Cusco]cusco information[/U].
It's also the high season and you might have some problems for booking specially Machupicchu and the Inca trail so i suggest to try to book it in advance or just use a travel agency, here are some travel agencie that have good references peru travel agent

I think it was June when I went in 2000 to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu. It was a great time to go as the rainy season had winded down, but the crowds hadn't flooded in to cram the trail. Very little rain - it wasn't even worth putting rain gear on when hiking since it would stop by the time you got it on and started moving again.

Less of a problem now, as I believe there are limits as to how many people can hike the trail at a time.

Hi to everyone,
Well it deppends on what are your vacation plans?
Diving? Surfing? Cusco? Kayaking? Hang Gliding?, there is plenty of things to do basically year round.
First let me know what are your plans and will let you know when is the best time to go!!!
And yes Scuba Diving Is popular and there is tons of places over there, Paracas & Islas Ballestas, Isala San Lorenzo & Froton, Pucusana, Northern Peru where you can find old Oil Platforms and tons of submarine life down there, plenty of places.

I will be there from September 14th to October the 2nd have not looked into diving as I am still worried about altitude sickness I will be doing the Inca trail, visiting Lake Titicaca and the Amazon so not sure if I will have the time.

Altitude sickness should not be a problem , you will have a mate de coca ( tea with sleeves of coca) to reduce headache, but after one or two days, it should be OK.
On the other hand, Lima is on the Pacific coast so no problem with that.
There are plenty of places to dive like mcg00 said, but no diving centers on the sites, you have to rent your gear and plan with the guys here in Lima where and when you can dive.Two dive centers ,Perudivers and Aquasport, the second one is not a dive center, but the owner is a dive instructor , and we dive on Sunday usualy.
If it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom