OTB Boots...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, I didn't think I could get excited about a shoe or a boot: that's JoysterShell's job! :D But then I have never gotten to field test a pair of shoes to Russia! Chris DeFelice of Rapid Diver fame and a close personal friend, got a pair for me to try. I got a pair of the "Keeper" in Mahogany and they are just plain nice.

What I currently wear: Well, since the Achilles popped on my left foot/ankle I have HAD to wear an open heel shoe. Crocs are light, easy to get in and out of (Airports) and they are perfect in water. Unfortunately, they don't support my weight very well (300 pounds), and they seem to come off when I DON'T want them to! I have worn NuBalance which come in a WIDE and recently I tried a Dr Scholls shoe with some success.

I had surgery on my left Achilles tendon this past January 15th. I have been healing a LOT faster than they had anticipated and that has been great! However, I still could not put on any of my closed heel shoes: too much pressure! But, these OTBs are different. They don't put excessive pressure on just one point, but along the entire back of the heel. I went ahead and without breaking them in, I brought them to Moscow with me for the Golden Dolphin Dive Show. There were some photos that I had to tak, and I didn't want me cast in the photos, so I went one day without the cast.

Wow. My foot/ankle actually felt better after that one day! The next day I was going to see Red Square, and I made the conscious decision to wear my OTBs instead of the "rocker boot" which is a kind of removable cast. When I hit Red Square, the roughness of the bricks there really hurt my knee. So after a few short minutes, I started to walk, and I used my knee scooter as a cane. Here I am in the middle of Red Square:

PeteRedSquare.JPG

So, before I even dive a pair of these, here are my impressions:

First, they are extremely light weight. I hate heavy shoes and these are just a bit heavier than my Crocs.

Second, they give excellent support. Being on a knee scooter through puts a lot of stress on the good foot and leg. When I wear the OTB shoe, I did not cramp even though I went further on those days (through the metro and all) then with my Crocs.

Third, they did not SLIP. I really can't handle that sort of thing with a bad ankle and they were wonderful.

But hey, the POINT of this shoe is how they handle water. The soles are perforated to allow water to pass right through. I did not have any problem with the snow in Russia and there was a lot of it. So today, I stopped by my pool and waded right in. The manager thought I was crazy and was not happy when I walked into his office a few minutes later. He was upset that I would track all of this water through the club house since it would make the place slippery. Both he and I were surprised when we saw only two small traces of moisture on the tile. These shoes really got rid of the water and did so QUICKLY.

So now, I have ordered a dive boot: the Odhin. http://www.otbboots.com/ You can see them there, and I almost ordered the SAR. I just got cleared for diving today, and I here there is an Easter Egg dive at Devil's Den this Saturday. There are lots of steps and I will be going "light" with my new Rapid Diver! I will report back soon!

Oh yeah, in talking with Dan from OTB, I found out that this is now standard issue for SEALS and that OTB means "Over The Beach". Apparently, it's a military term!

I have a pair of their SAR boots that I use with my drysuit. I like them well enough that I would almost buy a second pair for daily wear. They beat Rockboots by a mile in comfort, fit and build quality. The sole draining system works well.

Jackie

Not only that, they SHOULD be used for diving.

Side note... a year or so ago, I was given a "fresh pair" of these to wear to trade shows. So, I handed my older pair to my teenager and he also loves them. His words: "They don't wear out and go everywhere."

Side note #2: I am still wearing the Odhin for diving, though I need to get the next larger size for my dry suit. Tough as nails and great ankle support!

Thanks Pete!

Good info.

As NetDoc states, they are great for diving. I use mine only with my drysuit and they work really well. I love the drainage holes in the sole. Unfortunately I also can't fit many fins with mine on (size 14 boot), but my Jets work well with them.

There are 2 fins that I know for sure work well with size 14 rock boots, the Force Fin SD-1 already mentioned, which was designed to meet the requirements of Seal Team 2 in San Diego, specifically to fit over OTB's. and the XXXL Force Fin (any of the models) easily accommodates everything up and including Wader boots, with my drysuit I actually install a comfort instep to get a little better fit. not to mention how easy they are to don/doff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom