Other "Cave" agencies and GUE.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
But if you hang around Ginnie long enough, or CEE, you'll hear some great GUE jokes or stories.
This weekend I chuckled at: DIR=Divers Ignoring Reality

Well lets not get into that! We don't want to start anything!

I do get a kick out of Rich Courtneys scooter (shop guy at CEE). On the nose of the scooter is a smiley sticker that says "Be Happy, Dive PADI!"

he also has a spiderman glued onto the scooter!

Out of curiosity, what was it about a DIR configuration that your instructor didn't agree with?
The reality is the GUE/DIR was all born out of cave diving and the basic gear configurations (with the exception of sidemount/no-mount) is pretty close to almost any cave diver you will run into.

Were you asked to change any part of your configuration? If so, could you post what you were asked to change?

What was the reason given for the change?

Or was it not a configuration item, but more of a philosophical one?

He didn't "require" that I change any part of my configuration at the cavern level. He didn't agree with the wing lp inflator off the right post, cave line bolt snap tie-off on the long hose, no d-ring on the right hip, goodman handle in the left hand, cave line on the goodman handle/double ender connection. He also preferred a padded adjustable harness over a hog harness (something about skin bends in the shoulders????).

xiSkiGuy:
He didn't agree with the wing lp inflator off the right post, cave line bolt snap tie-off on the long hose, no d-ring on the right hip, goodman handle in the left hand, cave line on the goodman handle/double ender connection.
I'm curious - did he explain why he didn't agree with these things? Did he offer an alternative configuration option and explain why that one would be preferred over yours?

xiSkiGuy:
He also preferred a padded adjustable harness over a hog harness (something about skin bends in the shoulders????).
That's a somewhat puzzling reason for a recommendation - DCS is normally caused by an improper ascent/decompression procedure, not by what type of BC you wear (or don't). Did he offer an explanation as to why the BC would make a difference?

DIR-Atlanta:
I'm curious - did he explain why he didn't agree with these things? Did he offer an alternative configuration option and explain why that one would be preferred over yours?
In the few places that he didn't want cave line connected to the bolt snap he wanted zip ties for breakaway connections.

The lp inflator "simplified" hose routing and meant that items on your left side (SPG and wing lp inflator) were shut down when the left post was shut down and items on your right side (drysuit inflator if present) were shut down when the right post was shut down.

The light only went in the left hand when scootering, otherwise you kept in your right (and wound the excess lighthead cord around your arm) to better illuminate the reel and to avoid errant light aiming while adjusting [FONT=&quot]buoyancy[/FONT].

That's a somewhat puzzling reason for a recommendation - DCS is normally caused by an improper ascent/decompression procedure, not by what type of BC you wear (or don't). Did he offer an explanation as to why the BC would make a difference?
Something about an adjustable harness carrying the weight of doubles better (especially with a sternum strap) and stressing your shoulders less. I really didn't follow that comment at all and didn't seek a discussion on it.

The gist of my post was not really to get into reasons for differences of opinions on gear, just to see if others had similar experiences in North Florida and express some initial surprise at learning how divided the cave community was on my first visit there. I was also curious as to what differences people had noticed in GUE and non-GUE training. I wasn't dissatisfied with the class in the least. I thought it was a great exposure to another system.

DIR-Atlanta:

DCS can also be caused by poor circulation to an area of the body. Presumably the explanation would be that the DIR harness cuts off circulation at the shoulders... Why he thinks that totally puzzles me...

lamont:
DCS can also be caused by poor circulation to an area of the body. Presumably the explanation would be that the DIR harness cuts off circulation at the shoulders... Why he thinks that totally puzzles me...
I think he mentioned circulation. Like I said i had no idea where he was going with that and didn't see the need to debate it. I was trying to pass afterall.:D

I would be more concerned with the why's than the differences with the agencies. There will always be politics with these things. I would rather focus on the learning.

Seems when you descend your suit compresses and the harness tends to loosen. I am not an expert, but I would think that a 1/4 inch (or less?) of padding would not do much??

I can understand your desire to pass.. but I would be suspect of an instructor that would not pass you because you questioned what is being taught. Shouldn't the pass / fail be determined by your demonstration of the skills being taught?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom