Other divers asking for your footage

When other divers ask for access to your footage after a dive...

• I give it them no strings attached!

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I give it to them if they promise proper attribution.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I give a downsampled version to them (lower resolution, lower quality audio)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All my footage? Well, maybe give them one or two clips but not everything.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I'll only give them footage in which they are themselves visible.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • No way I'm giving it! I need to protect what is mine.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I post it myself (Youtube, etc) and send them a link!

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree about copywritable photos, and the stolen valor of fishing glory, but what about people who won’t even talk about equipment? Like, if they have a great camera set up, well they can’t tell you what it is or where they sourced it because they that is their edge, and other people should re-invent the wheel figuring it out for themselves. And fisherman NEVER are going to reveal their secret fishing spots, fricking NSA and CIA can’t even coerce them to reveal those coordinates.
So maybe it would be magnanimous to let them hold one small pretty lion-fish.
With Google Chrome I can download an exif viewer that allows me to see all of the camera information when I place my cursor over a photo.

It is not just the camera, but the whole set up, at night, shooting from below so critter has contrasting black background, and the those aim-able blazing spot lights poached from lingerie runway modeling shows. But hey, if you don’t want to talk about where you learned Photography, fine, I’ll figure it out eventually.
Underwater Photography Tips: Black Backgrounds -

I see where we missed each other’s meaning: the brand of the camera doesn’t matter, and i would not even note it. But it is that whole contraption of arms holding lights and neutrally buyanced with foam plus strobes on delay or synchronized or whatever. Sheesh, i don’t need random snippets from a guy on a boat, i need a how to manual “Underwater Photography for Noobs with yard sale cameras”
I have a few books, including Martin Edge's that go into exceedingly monotonous detail about underwater photography but they don't help much if your not diving in clear blue water. Alex Mustard has a book that really helped me. His instructions are succinct, rarely more than a few paragraphs for each subject.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1781452229/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dive with a very good photographer who never gives me tips that might help me improve. His photos are on the covers of magazines and books and he makes a tidy sum from his work. I've never sold a photo, so maybe he wants to keep it that way.

I don't mind others using my photos as long as they ask me, or if they are using it as a screen saver or something that doesn't generate traffic to a website. Alchetron.com is one of the worst offenders. They still have some of my images up, as well as hundreds from people I know. When I send them a not so nice letter demanding the removal of my images it takes weeks for them to do so. They claim that all photos on their site are user submitted and copyright free.
A few of my photos are on sites that only allow comments from Facebook users. I've thought about signing up just to post comments but I can't bring myself to be on Facebook.

I have a few books, including Martin Edge's that go into exceedingly monotonous detail about underwater photography but they don't help much if your not diving in clear blue water. Alex Mustard has a book that really helped me. His instructions are succinct, rarely more than a few paragraphs for each subject.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1781452229/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have both of those and can recommend them as well, particularly Alex Mustard's book.

Another one I can recommend is "Winning Images with Any Underwater Camera" by Paul Colley. And I'd read that one before "Photography Masterclass", which can be a bit terse for those who are still working on the basics.

I give them the web address where I post my videos.

My vids are used by several other sites via embed links. Scuba travel sites selling trips frequently will embed other peoples videos to promote a scuba destination. There is also an online TV site called Pluto TV. For their travel or adventure channels, they also embed other peoples videos.

I made a picture for of a fur seal pup that was really great. My employer got hold of it and used it in a brochure without permission or attribution. I hadn't left on good terms and I had not given them the picture. But at the end of the day it was just annoying. I wasn't going to have anyone interested in it (pre-Internet). Today I just edit the video for myself and post it. I think the only time I would be pissed if it was that someone made money without permission or attribution or they claimed it as their own.

I give it away freely. However, for anyone but friends, that usually means just what I post, because the raw footage is huge and difficult to transfer. I'm not a professional videographer. I also don't expect to make any money from my video footage. Even if I could, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I'm a non photographer; tried it for a while but it's not for me. I've often requested photos from the photogs on the boat with an exchange of emails. It is very rare that I actually receive any photos but when it does happen, I'm very grateful and definitely provide attribution.

Back
Top Bottom