OUCH my head hurts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NB DIVER

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
:confused:Hi everyone I need your help. I am very new to diving (still need one final check dive to get certified). My first dive was in The Bay of Fundy in December it was around -4 C
second dive was in Veradero two weeks ago temp was 26 C water about the same. Guess which one was more fun ??? But even with the cold water around here I'm hooked and with your help it will only get better.I have heard a lot aboutApeks and the Sherwood Maximus being great in cold water but I'm open to suggestions.
SCUBA (self containd underwater breathing apperatus) or is it Sure Could Use Better Advice? Don't get me wrong my instructor has been helpful but he is farmilliar with the gear he sells and I want to be sure I am making the best decision on what will ultimately keep us alive underwater our regs.
Locally I can buy scubapro mares atomic sherwood and oceanic so if you have any suggestions from these I would prefere to support my LDS. I need a reg that is going to be used in a lot of cold water dives but also for our trips (my wife is getting her cert also).
I have tried to check out as much as I can online but the best advice I think comes from the people who use the stuff YOU.
Also I want to try and get the most bang for my buck as I will need to purchase 2 sets of gear but I also don't want to go on the cheap for the sake of it being cheap and regret or hate it. After all its the most important thing we will buy.
The other question I have is bcs. As for fins and masks we have that covered.We both got atomic framless masks and oceanic v16 fins. My two cents on the fins FANTASTIC. I tryed Atomics and Sherwood splits as well as kenesis and dive rite paddle. As a newbie I can really zip if I want with them and the effort is mininal at worst.
So again hi to everyone and I hope you can help us out.

Welcome to the Board!

As far as you LDS's reg selection, they seem to have a good number of brands; the only major brand missing I can think of just off the top of my head would be Aqualung. I would assume that all/most of what your shop sells is appropriate for your local diving conditions (also off the top of my head, I know Aqualung's Glacia is designed for very cold water... well now I sound like I'm pitching it, don't I? I'm not meaning to). I just finished shopping for my reg, and I feel like it really made the difference to be able to test the reg in person (hopefully in a pool!) so I'd say try to buy from an actual shop.

Welcome to Scubaboard! NB, I completley understand why your head hurts with such an overwhelming number of choices and huge amount of info to process.

:rofl3: Love the new anagram

I agree and on behalf of all of us on SB, THANK YOU for the compliments and high opinion of our collective experiences and opinions. Like you, I too rely on all the vast and varied experiences and opinions found here on Scubaboard.

Oh behalf of all LDS, thank you for your support. I applaud you for doing your homework, checking out various LDS and online vendors and simultaneously wanting to support your local LDS. I completely understand getting the most bang for your buck. Thank you for understanding that there is a value-added for the service (try it on, assemble it while you wait, ad infinitum requests), the face-to-face questions/answers (touchy-feely, hold-it-in-my-hands before I buy) general knowledgeable chit-chat, AND authorized locally available warranty service.

On that note, do not hesitate to ask your LDS to price match any identical item with an online supplier - give your LDS the opporutnity and they may surprise you. Most will be very upfront if they can come close. Find what you like at your local LDS, check it out online, then recheck with your LDS. If you do purchase the same item online, at least you know your LDS can service it (maybe begrudgingly and for extra $) if it is an item they normally carry. Purchasing some gear online could turn out to be a futile effort, if you can't get service locally, easily, &/or promptly at a reasonable rate.

As for a good reg that is sealed and balanced for cold water and just all round multi use & tech use in both DIN or yoke, check out the APEX XTX 50. APEX is distributed by Aqualung. That said, I like my Scubapro MK25/S600. You will find as many opinions here on scubaboard as there are brands and styles of regulators. I recommened you use the SEARCH feature and read previous threads on any specific brand/make you might be considering.

Welcome to SB and good luck in your search for the gear that is right for you & your wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom