Our dive plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if some of you that know these divesites could give some feedback on the Days 3-5 dives. I've got more than 150 dives and my buddy has less than half those. I dive frequently he does not but he's in excellent condition. I read some of these dives can have stiff unpredictable currents.

Are there any dives that we might consider that aren't listed here? We definitely want a chance to see the Molas and Mantas if possible. I think we are flexible on dive sites but not areas since we booked hotels already.

Day 1 : 2 dives ( 1 at Seraya and 1 dives at Tulamben /Liberty )

Day 2 : 3 dives at Tulamben - ( drop off, Coral Garden , 1 Night dive at Liberty )

Day 3 : 2 dives at Padang Bai ( Gili tapekong + Mimpang )

Day 4: 2 dives at Nusa Penida ( Crystal bay + Manta point )

Day 5 : 2 dives at Nusa Penida ( SD point and Toyapakeh )

Good choices. The Liberty is a given, and Seraya is an incredible macro dive, one of the best I've done anywhere for nudibranchs in particular. I've never dove Padang Bai, but there and Tulamben will be easy dives. Nusa Penida, on the other hand, is susceptible to strong currents, and I've even experienced a bit of a down current at Crystal Bay. Manta Point is easy, you'll just be dealing with a bit of a surge. But with the experience you list I'm sure you'll be fine at all places. Only thing I'd say is maybe skip Padang Bai just to give yourself a maximum chance at molas...the mantas will be nearly guaranteed. I went out sooo many times for molas and, while I was pretty unlucky compared to many people who were seeing them constantly, I was glad I gave myself extra time to make sure I finally saw them as they were the big priority. Are you going soon? It's nearing the end of the season. If any of the dates you are going coincide with a full moon that will also increase your chances.

Gili Tepekong and Mimpang can have ripping currents ... but there are enough experienced local dive guides that there's no reason to deal with that scenario. Those dives are done "depending on the tides and currents". If you're reasonably fit and have your head on straight, you should do fine.

About your day dive at the Liberty wreck ... I strongly suggest you do this dive as early in the morning as possible ... later in the day, when the day-trippers arrive, you'll have to take a number to get near the wreck, and the resident bumpheads and jacks will be elsewhere.

Last edited:
Hi there

We visited this area in June and loved it . I would agree with the previous posters that it would be best to try to maximise your chances of seeing mola molas , so schedule in another day for this if you can. We had at least 4 mola molas with us for most of the dive and they came right up close. Mantas are pretty much guaranteeed, we saw one but it wasn't particularly near.We only did one dive on the Liberty, which was a shame as it is amazing with so much life.

My husband in particular hates strong currents , but we are both in pretty good shape. We were absolutely fine with the currents there. I'm not sure where you are staying , but we stayed on Nusa Penida and diver with World Diving , who were excellent. There were a maximum of 4 guests per guide and they were incredibly good, amongst the best we have ever seen.If you take thing easy , stick to the what the guides tell you you will be fine.

Very nice schedule, i have no comments, u will visit most of the beautiful spots in Bali....

Hey there JDFmail,

What dive Op will you be doing most of your diving with? I'm coming out in March and your dive plan looks pretty good, I just might use it.

Cheers,

For a 5 days tour , you did a nice program. Unpredictable currents can be avoided, or at least handled the best, with experienced Dive Master… Like in many places in Indonesia the Dive Guide will make a lot of difference. I would choose an operator with foreign management. Some dive sites you would like to visit, already witnessed some accidents, generally due to poor diving experience and unprofessional DM.

Like in many places in Indonesia the Dive Guide will make a lot of difference. I would choose an operator with foreign management.

For days 3-5, I'd suggest Absolute Scuba in Padang Bai. Very professional, withh qualified dive guides. They also do shuttles to Tulamben, but then you would have to start and end each day with a drive, making those days long. It would also preclude doing an early dive on the Liberty wreck.

We're with prodivebali and it's me and my buddy with a private guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom