OUR Future in Video and Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few random thoughts.

Similar to what's happening with photography. A big increases in medium and lower quality video since technology has made it affordable to shoot UW video. High quality UW footage is determined by being in the right place at the right time and less on the quality of the operator, again due to technology.

A big increase in artistic video footage due to experienced photographers shooting video with their DSLRs.

Topside: a increase in quality movie making and storytelling, due to young talent now having affordable tools (DSLRs) and the industry recognizing/accepting DSLRs.

While there is no substitute for experience, the internet has made gathering information and knowledge a breeze and technology has given the tools to the general public.

True talent and artistry will still be rare.

IMHO consumer and even pro-sumer video is on the verge of a major revolution. I predict the end result will be that high-end consumer and pro-sumer camcorders as we know them today will give way to video capable interchangeable lens DSLR type cameras, or even point and shoots.

There are a number of cameras on the market today that are primarily still cameras but shoot broadcast quality, and in certain instances, cinema quality HD video.

My Canon T2i (DSLR) shoots better video than my HD camcorder. Period. Surprisingly, the price of the T2i with kit lens is a little less than most high-end consumer or pro-sumer camcorder models.

Camcorders still have some advantages: they tend to focus faster while shooting and they record to more highly compressed formats like AVCHD. But both of these issues are likely to be bridged by "still" cameras in the near future.

It stands to reason then that if given the choice between a camera that shoots high quality stills plus high quality video; and one that only shoots video, consumers will go for the one that does both. But the advantages don't end there. Now, imagine a camcorder with interchangeable lenses and the big picture begins to emerge.

When the first DSLR comes out that has camcorder-esque video auto focus and records video in AVCHD it will be game over for camcorders, and that day is not far away.

When it comes to shooting video, high end DSLR's such as the Canon 5D Mark II are even bridging the gap between affordable professional quality video and the super high-end and super expensive large capture format cameras like the RED One.

There will always be a market for professional broadcast quality camcorders. And there will also be a market for mini camcorders like the Flip. But it just makes too much sense that the market for the higher end of consumer camcorders will simply be absorbed by ultra capable DSLR type cameras that also shoot video.

Last edited:
All I know about the future is that whatever I shoot today will probably not be of high enough quality for tomorrow!

I have tons of SD (mini-DV) footage, some of it quite unique, but with the transition to HDTV many will no longer use it. What I'm shooting today in HDV and HD will probably be obsolete pretty soon.

I do think content and presentation is important. I have had several ask if my mini-DV footage was high def. I think the lower resolution of that footage can be overcome by using it to present a meaningful story.

It takes time to acquire good stock footage. Over the last decade I have filmed things I've only seen once in a 50 year history of diving. That unique footage is still valuable regardless of the format it is in. The common behaviors can be recaptured in higher resolution.

I'm just going to buy a Red...after I win the lottery.

I am half serious though - 4K, interchangeable everything. Be on the bleeding edge for once.

Yes, Dr. Bill....but where and how do you see the technology of the future and where it will lead us.
I find it ironic that the current audio technology is fantastic and yet people are settling for the inherently lousy audio of MP3 players and the like.
Steve

The average Joe/Jane can't see or hear the difference the latest technology offers. Or they can see/hear it, but don't think it's worth the extra money.

In general, people didn't buy Blueray players until the price dropped under $150. Some didn't see a difference over SD, many didn't feel the difference was worth it.

Wherever technology leads us, the enthusiasts will be at the leading edge and average Joe will see that technology a few years later when it trickles down.

I have a question. What is the lifespan average Joe expects from his technology ? He will always want the latest and greatest, but his pocketbook can't afford it. So despite technology evolving, he will keep his technology and not buy something new for 1 yr, 2 yrs, 3 yrs, 5 yrs, more ?

I'm hoping for IMAX quality images on an ultra-high capacity SD card in a camera and housing about the same size as a DSLR housing. HD video is nice, but it's very annoying to watch video made from a small camera. The camera movement makes the video look like it was shot on a roller coaster. If you can hold the camera in one hand, don't shoot video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom