OUR Future in Video and Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You say there's no standard for 3d yet, but it's getting there.

I work in the video games industry, and nintendo is releasing a new portable console called the 3Ds, which features a screen that does 3d without any glasses.
I've seen now that sony is trying to get that new tech onto their TVs so you can basically watch 3d movies without any glasses.
That is probably gonna be the standard... if people like it.
But then how much of your work is gonna influenced by that? It's not like tourists will start asking for 3d videos of their first dive...

I agree that the tendency now is more in giving cheap HD to people, like you said now all phones are capable of watching HD video, some of them (like new androids) have HDMI output, you can basically use it as a full HD video player to connect on your tv.

For me, the future is gonna be digital online watching (just like in my industry, in the future everything will be online, no more buying a game on disc or stuff like that...)

Business wise, in what you guys shoot, what's the ratio of "big production" cinema quality shots against "SD quality" shots for the average Joe wanting to have a DVD of his first dive?
I would think it's probably mainly tourist dvd kinda shots...

That's why if later on, those guys instead of having to order a DVD from you, then wait for you to send it to their home, they could just have that video online in HD, and watch it on their phones, their AppleTV, their car TV, in their office to show their colleagues etc... that's where you guys will make money...

big productions shots might be funnier to make, and look better, but you usually don't get much money from it...

Again that's my opinion. i'm no pro, and i'm not pretending to know much about you guys' work

So, if I am reading you correctly, by the industry moving to watching on iPads, iPhones and the like, we are actually dumbing down consumer expectations. I think we are. We have wonderful and constantly advancing technologies yet the consumer settles for MP3 music, theatrical films on a 4" screen and such. The success of the Go Pro is amazing and I see it growing even more.

Regarding 3D, there would be few who would deny that Avatar did it best. Yet, I believe it can only be played on a Panasonic 3D monitor. Where would Sony's version of 3D fit in?
Also keep in mind that in recent weeks it has come out that watching 3D by very young children seems to be able to cause actual damage and that a large % of people either get nauseous from it or have monocular vision where they don't see it at all. I agree, that 3D as a standard will eventually come to pass but, for now, it is in embryonic form. Most of the so called 3D movies have been junk which leads me to state, as I always have, that you can have the most advanced technology but without a good story and interesting characters, a film has nothing.
Steve

I'm not so sure I agree the mfr's are dumbing down expectations. I think they determine a target price point for each product type, based on profit, market demand and product life cycle. They then have the R&D teams concentrate of developing/applying technology at that price point.

They will still develop products at the higher end, but the major mfr's are making their money by selling to the mass general public. The technology at the higher end does move it's way down as something newer and better comes around.

This is all just my amateur hobbyist opinion.

Hey Ron,
I'm not saying that the manufacturers are dumbing down, I am saying that the public themselves are dumbing down. It is the public that while buying an advanced tech 50" screen monitor then decides to watch their movie on their 3" iPhone. We lost much audio going from LPs to CDs but now the public is dumbing down again and listening to MP3s. I have a fairly esoteric audio home theater so why would I want to watch a movie sitting at my computer or watching it on an iPad? That makes no sense to me unless I was stuck in an airport or on the plane where I had no choice.
Steve

True Steve. Seems like the public is more interested in convenience than quality.

What kind of home theater do you have ?

Last edited:
Hey Ron,
Right now I am running Aerial Acoustic speakers all around except the sub which is a Velodyne. My Lexicon processor recently went the way of the Dodo so now I have a Rotel which, while not the highest end of esoterica, surpasses the Lexicon I had. I am using two original Aragon Amplifiers, one a stereo amp for the front two channels and the other is a 3 channel for the center and rears. Sony Blu Ray player.
Have a ton of hi end DVD players, tape decks, SVHS, tuners just sitting in my closet and don't know what to do with them.
Steve

Nope, that is my weak link in the system. I have a 5 year old 60" Mitzubichi (or however you spell it) rear projection monitor. It's holding up just fine with an excellent picture so I am hoping that it will last until the current monitor evolution which is really going back and forth settles down. ThenI will either buy a projection system, maybe Runco, or one of the latest and greatest.
What kind of system are you running?
Steve

I have Panasonic 1080p projector with a Dalite 110" High Power reflective screen. It's several years old, but still works great. It's amazing that you can get a 1080p projector and 100+" screen for the same price as many 60" TV's.

For sound I have Ascend speakers and a SVS sub. For some reason I can't remember the brand of my HT receiver. :confused:

I still have the components from my old audiophile days laying around. Thorens turntable, Conrad Johnson preamp, Bryston power amp, Magnapan speakers.

Pretty good Ron. Back in the day, I used to sell hi end stereo and loved it. Surprised you are using a receiver instead of either an integrated amp or separates. I liked the Magnapan's but they were always so directional and placement a good distance away from the wall was imperative. I guess your SVS sub makes up for their lack of bass. What is your sub crossover set to? Can you even set a crossover with your receiver? I'm definitely jealous of your Dalite screen, very cool. Will your receiver process DTS audio and the new HD Dolby? To me, the audio when watching movies is even more important than the video. In fact, I have found little difference in the video when watching Blu ray vs regular DVDs but I love great audio.
What cartridge do you have in your Thorens. I miss LPs. I wonder if you can bypass the amp in your receiver for the Bryston and use the receiver simply as a processor. HMMM
Steve

Back
Top Bottom