OUR Future in Video and Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had viewers ask on occasion whether my SD footage was HD or not. They couldn't tell the difference (but of course I can).

If I were filming for the large screen, I'd want a Red or one of those IMAX quality small pro-sumer camcorders Phil is talking about in the future.

However, I think most viewers see our work on the "small" screen (if you think 40-60" HDTVs are small!). I'm not too interested in going beyond the HD camcorder I have at the moment (can't afford to any way). My market is mostly individual viewers using DVD players or watching cable. I just don't see many consumers buying full wall HDTV screens in the future... especially given the economy and the declining value of the dollar.

Also, there are serious limitations with the amount of light a small camcorder can bring to focus on a small imaging chip. To get better results would require larger lenses and chips. Even using some electronic means of light signal amplification would probably introduce noise. This brings us back to the larger format video cameras. Try traveling with one of those!

DSLR's have the bigger sensors you describe Dr. Bill. That brings the low light capabilities you are looking for. They are not the easiest to use for quick shooting documentary, like UW. However, things are already changing for the better. Next step will be housings better balanced for video use.

3D within 5 years will be standard.
Photo and video completely merging.
Internet based shows as the norm.
Applications.
Video and multi-media revolution. It is here and we are just now starting to see the beginnings. I watched a video yesterday on somebody's phone that was edited in imovie on their phone with a 4.99 application.
Sorry I have been so silent lately, been traveling a load and trying to finish a bunch of products. Thanks for all you do on this forum, you are the best!

Interesting topic, you guys mentioned the RED cam, I've been looking at their website, it's really impressive (though ridiculously expensive)
Looks like the type of cam of the future. both for pics and vids

Has there ever been any underwater footage done with it? I'm really curious to see how it would look.
The only ones i could find are the ones below, which i'm not even sure they're actual red one footage.
They don't really look that amazing actually... compared to other vids I've seen with "normal" pro equipment (Oh btw does any of you know what they used in BBC Nature's greatest events series with the sardine run episodes? the UW shots are just jaw dropping, though i would think the content of those shots influenced my judgement:wink:)

It got me thinking, and remembering what they taught me in film school, it's not really about the camera, it's about the lens, and the lighting... that's what defines the quality of your pictures... and it's even more important underwater where lighting is so limited...

That's why i think what they should really try to improve in the future, instead of making 4k resolution cams when most people will just export to HD res, is coming up with cams that have super high light sensitivity and would be capable of getting the few amount of colors that we can manage to see but cams can never do (usually end up making everything blue)...
Anyway that's just my opinion, i'm not pro :wink:

Interesting topic, you guys mentioned the RED cam, I've been looking at their website, it's really impressive (though ridiculously expensive)
Looks like the type of cam of the future. both for pics and vids

Has there ever been any underwater footage done with it?

Here is a link to a couple of videos from Howard Hall shot on RED One:

Howard Hall Productions - High Definition Video Stock Library,underwater high definition video,stock video images,high definition underwater photography and videography,underwater photos and video clips, dive underwater photography books,ocean images

Wow, OK... this guy is just a badass.
Every single shot in his videos is cinematography-wise perfect, good framing, composition, focus, subject...
It's hard to say if the camera makes those pictures so beautiful or if it's all the guy's skills.
Some shots do look exactly like film though, they have this particular feel... but again not sure if it's the camera itself or not.

Anyway it's really impressive.
That one especially: Cocos 2010 on Vimeo

Man, my GoPro feels so lame all of a sudden... like a kid looking at a Ferrari and then his car toy...

Howard Hall is a legend. And while I'm sure the equipment plays some role in the matter, its the technique and skills behind the camera, not the camera itself, that create the art. Its also a product of great post-production and that credit goes to his wife, Michelle.

This documentary is my favorite: Shark Mountain | Nature | PBS Video.

Last edited:
Some interesting responses to this question. Aside from Howard being in a class of his own through his and Michelle's perseverance and hard work, (the multi million dollar budgets don't hurt) they are extraordinarily nice people. They used to fill their tanks at my shop back in the early 90's when they were diving locally.

But back to the question...Annie predicts 3D as the standard yet there is not yet a standard for 3D..but there will be. Isn't it ironic however Annie that while the video and audio standards are continuing to rise that the consumer is dumbing down their expectations? I mean, who wants to listen to half the music which is what MP3 really is and who wants to watch a theatrical film on a little screen on their iPhone or iTouch? But that is what people are doing.
Steve

But back to the question...Annie predicts 3D as the standard yet there is not yet a standard for 3D..but there will be. Isn't it ironic however Annie that while the video and audio standards are continuing to rise that the consumer is dumbing down their expectations? I mean, who wants to listen to half the music which is what MP3 really is and who wants to watch a theatrical film on a little screen on their iPhone or iTouch? But that is what people are doing.
Steve

Very interesting observation Steve. How much of this has to do with business ? Advances in technology are making things better and cheaper. I think the businesses are more focused on making things cheaper and getting their products into more peoples hands.

The GoPro Hero is a great example. It's pretty amazing what you get for the price and size. The quality of the video is nothing new, but in the past, you would have had to spend 3-4 times as much money and it would be 10 times as big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom