Our World Underwater...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[/QUOTE]As for a location for dinner on Feb. 25th, I am going to look at a couple places tonight & see what size group they can accomodate & to check on menu prices. There are some very nice (expensive) restaurants nearby. But I thought a nice & moderate priced location might be better for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am always most comfortable in blue jeans.

Yes, I am always most comfortable in blue jeans.[/QUOTE]

Dean,
You mean a dry suit dont you?
Eating out aint cheap around them hotels, and a drink is more than a Ean 40 Fill at our local shop!
So we will be the ones with the Roadies!:05:
Brad!

moneysavr:
Yes, I am always most comfortable in blue jeans.

Dean,
You mean a dry suit dont you?
Eating out aint cheap around them hotels, and a drink is more than a Ean 40 Fill at our local shop!
So we will be the ones with the Roadies!:05:
Brad![/QUOTE]

I'm ordering my drysuit tomorrow! No more rentals for me! See you at the show, then on your boat! :)

Pete, I would just love to take you out for a drink...its about an hour drive for me, but well worth it. Let me know.

Has dinner been planned yet? I would be up for this....

Jason

Sounds good Jason... I will be staying at the Sofitel Hotel across from the Convention Center.

OK. after extensive research...eyebrow

I think that a good place for us to meet for dinner would be at the Hyatt-O'Hare.
At Knuckles Sports Bar.

If anyone has any other suggestions please, please feel free to post your ideas. This is in no way a done deal, so any & all suggestions are very welcome.

The upside:
Location: It is just north of the D.E.S. Convention Center, so getting there & back is easy. No car required & you don't even have to go outside. So, if you can only stop by for a few minutes & have a Coke, no problem.

Bar vs Restaurant: It's tough to reserve a table at a retaurant without a head count. This way you can come & go as you please. With no obligation to purchase a meal, if you don't want to. There is a menu available in the bar, with a very nice selection of appetizers, salads, dinner etc...

Now the downside.
Smoke: It's a bar, so it will be smokey. I am a non-smoker, but it doesn't bother me. Again this location is in no way a done deal, so if smoke is a problem I can look into something else.

Price: Yes it is on the high side. All the restaurants that are close by are pricey.

There are other restaurants/bars that are farther away. (cheaper) But you'll need transportation to get to them.

I know I'm repeating myself, but, any & all input is very welcome! I am just the scout for this. Where ever the majority of you would like to go, whatever would work out the best, is what I am aiming for.

Having organized the OWU gathering for (gasp) another scuba related board for several years, Knuckles is probably the best answer for the group. Unless Pete wants to rent a hospitality suite. :wink:

Knuckles is easy to get to, allows people to come and go as they please, to drink and eat what they want, and it eases the time crunch between the end of the show and the start of the film festival. It gets packed quickly, so getting there early will help assure there is a seat for you during what turns into a mongo cocktail party. If it's going to be a big group, grabbing a few tables in the pit and hoisting a sign overhead will help folks locate the gang.

The service kind of sucks and the prices are kind of high but nowhere as much as some of the competitors. Besides, we're divers, not foodies and we're going there for the people. You'll be so drunk from the smell of neoprene that you won't need the beer.

reefraff:
Having organized the OWU gathering for (gasp) another scuba related board for several years,
:11:There is another scuba related board?:wink:

reefraff:
Knuckles is easy to get to, allows people to come and go as they please, to drink and eat what they want, and it eases the time crunch between the end of the show and the start of the film festival.
That is why I thought it might work well for us.

reefraff:
The service kind of sucks and the prices are kind of high but nowhere as much as some of the competitors.
Yes, there are definate downsides to Knuckles, as well as the immediate area.

Let's leave this open for more discussion. I'd like to get more opinions from everyone. Then when we have made our final choice, maybe we can get it posted as a sticky, with date, time, place, etc... That way, it will be easy for everyone to find the information.

Where ever we end up, I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
This should be great fun!

Back
Top Bottom