Out of air emergency at 105 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like the circus at times eh?

f3a592daa13549bcaea8b0c38e72714cCircus-Hilarious.gif

You mean this isn't the dog and pony show?

Well, perhaps a horse's ass and a dog pile :D.

The reality of it is, that if the diver was truly panicked, there is no guarantee that handing over a pony would have calmed them down. Being in contol of their breathing again, it MIGHT help them settle, but at that point, you still do not know if there is another problem. Maintaining contact with the diver, as long as it does not in any way affect your safety, is still the best solution IMO, no matter what was handed to them (Secondary/octo or pony).

Last edited:

Hey Mike...you look like you have been blowing your nose a lot in that pic....got a cold? Don't ya just hate family reunion photos :D

I believe that by handing off your pony to the out of air DM you would have defused the situation, that is why I like to side sling mine as it is very easy to hand off.

Why hand off your alternate air source to someone who has already demonstrated poor judgement? There's a significant chance he would have made it to the surface, been unable to figure out why his BC wouldn't inflate, then sink and drown.

It's great to have redundant air, and I'd certainly share air with him to the surface and make sure he got back on the boat, but there's no way I'd just hand it to him and wave goodbye.

Terry

Way too keep a cool head. You must have been the closest person to the DM at the time. Although stupid to not check your air on the surface as the DM I would have done the same thing and swam to the closest air supply because I'm sure it was closer than 105 ft. Aaron

Why hand off your alternate air source to someone who has already demonstrated poor judgement?
Terry

Because I would prefer not to be tied to a person who had already demonstrated poor judgement. After handing off I can still monitor him and provide assistance if required but can also protect myself if he wishes to do a Polaris to the surface.

Because I would prefer not to be tied to a person who had already demonstrated poor judgement. After handing off I can still monitor him and provide assistance if required but can also protect myself if he wishes to do a Polaris to the surface.

On the plus side, you would also be beneath him to catch your pony if he dropped it :wink:. Personally, I think it would be better to maintain the contact however if they did a Polaris to the surface and I could not hold them down then they would be on their own until I could safely ascend the distance so I do not think you and I are saying totally different things.

On the plus side, you would also be beneath him to catch your pony if he dropped it :wink:. Personally, I think it would be better to maintain the contact however if they did a Polaris to the surface and I could not hold them down then they would be on their own until I could safely ascend the distance so I do not think you and I are saying totally different things.
What makes you think they are going to let go of you. Unless you have excess weight it is very difficult to hold someone down against their will and if they have a death grip on your octo or BC you are going along for the ride.

What makes you think they are going to let go of you. Unless you have excess weight it is very difficult to hold someone down against their will and if they have a death grip on your octo or BC you are going along for the ride.

If they are holding me that closely then I still have access to the inflator or dump valve to ensure they are not positive at which point they will be trying to kick both of us up. I will be on my way up a bit but I will not go up the full 105 feet.

If they are holding me that closely then I still have access to the inflator or dump valve to ensure they are not positive at which point they will be trying to kick both of us up. I will be on my way up a bit but I will not go up the full 105 feet.

I'm glad I have a 7' hose. All that grabbing, grappling, panicked stuff scares me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom