Out of air emergency at 105 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that by handing off your pony to the out of air DM you would have defused the situation, that is why I like to side sling mine as it is very easy to hand off.

Assuming that the pony was filled, the valve was turned on, etc. Alternatively if there was a previously undetected problem with the pony it could have escalated the situation.

Sounds like the OP responded appropriately and handled the situation. Introducing additional task loading to the situation could have just complicated things further.

I believe that by handing off your pony to the out of air DM you would have defused the situation, that is why I like to side sling mine as it is very easy to hand off.
You know, I won't hand mine off. It stays with me, and I stay with a diver needing help, but I don't pass it off. I won't go on tho; don't want to hijack.

Edit: The DM needs a pony perhaps.

DM needs better awareness and air management skills, especially if he's working in a leadership capacity with unders other his care.

Pony bottles can't fix stupid. :wink:

Assuming that the pony was filled, the valve was turned on, etc. Alternatively if there was a previously undetected problem with the pony it could have escalated the situation.

So am I to understand that as a CCR diver you do not trust your bailout bottle to be filled and in working condition.

Couple things---------1st, that was one dumb DM(guess they don't know it all----lol) & 2nd, that was one DUMB DM.....

So am I to understand that as a CCR diver you do not trust your bailout bottle to be filled and in working condition.

I dont trust anything. That's why I adhere to a meticulous checklist to ensure everything has been done and is in working order prior to making a dive.

In my experience, most OW divers carrying pony bottles do not apply the same care to checking their pony bottles, ensuring it is topped off, working properly and contains an appropriate mix that a CCR diver does.

YMMV.

DM needs better awareness and air management skills, especially if he's working in a leadership capacity with unders other his care.

Pony bottles can't fix stupid. :wink:
Nope. How did we get off on ponies here? Next...~!

Nope. How did we get off on ponies here? Next...~!

You mean this isn't the dog and pony show?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom