out-of-shape divers doing things like diving the doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where's the fun in that???

Like most others I believe that fitness is an important part of diving but I can't help but notice that it is always the overweight divers who bear the brunt of criticism. Recently I have had the experience of seeing how out of shape some thin people are and it has been an eye opener.

Twice in the last week or so I have had thin people who appear healthy become winded and unable to move what I consider very light weights. Something I could move without blinking an eye. One person actually strained their quads. Sure they would look good in a wetsuit but man, I would not want my life depending on their ability to assist in any form of a rescue!

Purely ancedotal but there definately are more indicators of sub optimal health than a big belly. BTW Captain, how do you take this test? Is it through a doctor and if so what do you call it exactly?

Like most others I believe that fitness is an important part of diving but I can't help but notice that it is always the overweight divers who bear the brunt of criticism. Recently I have had the experience of seeing how out of shape some thin people are and it has been an eye opener.

Show me a thin middle aged man, and I'll show you a smoker.

Wait a minute... isn't smoking bad for divers?

Has anything actually good ever come out of one of an obesity bashing thread on this forum?

Richard.

I agree....let's just dive!

Wow what a mess of a thread. I'd just like to know if the folks around here with the big mouths are actually doing the big dives to back it up? It's been my experience that it's usually not the case.

So, here's what I've come away from this thread with:

being in shape for demanding dives = good, sane
being out of shape for demanding dives = bad, crazy

no substantial evidence to offset/challenge this paradigm

I agree being "in shape", to a certain degree, is good and sane. But if one is really out of shape you'll know it as you prepare for the bigger dives. That's why most sane divers do "workup" dives to get in shape for the season. I think it's more important to just get in many dives and stay in reasonable shape versus being in "better" shape but maybe not diving a lot? Just being in super condition does not make one a good diver. Of course if you dive a lot AND are in great shape well then you just may be a fantastic diver. You got any big dives in to back that up?

From the looks of your profile (PADI only?) and low number of dives you basically have a lot to learn and no experience that I can see. Get in a few hundred more dives in various conditions, cold, current, no vis, deep wrecks, river drifts in 4 knots etc. etc. and a half dozen or more tech certs. then come back here after you've been beaten back into reality and we can all talk some more. :D

Show me a thin middle aged man, and I'll show you a smoker.

Wait a minute... isn't smoking bad for divers?

Define middle-aged.

Define middle-aged.

Anyone older then me:D

My wife swears I still act like a 16YO, I will assume she means performs like a 16YO and call it good.:D

BTW Captain, how do you take this test? Is it through a doctor and if so what do you call it exactly?

Since I had coronary artery bypass surgery 11 years ago my cardiologist has me do it every year. In my case it is called an echo stress test because they do an ultrasound of my heart before the treadmill part begins and immediately after the treadmill part. The test can be done without the ultrasound part. You can talk to your doctor about it. I see you are in Canada so I can't say if Canada's national medical insurance would approve or cover it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom