out-of-shape divers doing things like diving the doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fat guy divers aren't necessarily "out-of-shape," they're just in a different shape.

This is from Wikipedia...the gospel of definitions... "Physical fitness is considered a measure of the body’s ability to function efficiently and effectively in work and leisure activities, to be healthy, to resist hypokinetic diseases, and to meet emergency situations."
Based on this definition, you are considered fit enough for diving if you can can enjoy the dive and if you can to respond to "emergency situations". Of course with diving, training and experience helps a person prepare for an emergency situation.

There is no magic mathematical formula to define "fitness".

So...we can all be nice now..shake hands and make up.:swordfight:

The diving population mirrors the public at large, most are not physically fit by any definition including the Wiki definition. Many have ongoing hypokinetic diseases. Fortunately, most divers have had few real emergency situations and therefore their ability to respond to one adequately physically or mentally is UNPROVEN. Luck, however, and a good personality, are not a substitute for fitness regimen to maintain a base level physical fitness for diving and more importantly, diving aside, for living your life to the fullest.

N

Show me a thin middle aged man, and I'll show you a smoker.
What kind of nonsense is this?

Sorry, badly phrased. What I meant was: if I see a skinny guy who is over 36, I figure it is much more likely because he smokes than because he keeps himself in really good shape.

Now I'm worried; I'm 36. Am I about to get fat? Seems like I've been trimming down these days. Is there something I don't know?

-matt

Sorry, badly phrased. What I meant was: if I see a skinny guy who is over 36, I figure it is much more likely because he smokes than because he keeps himself in really good shape.

Maybe you should get out more... or talk to more people over 36 then. I know far more skinny 40 year olds than I know fat ones. Even people who aren't skinny aren't really out of shape, necessarily. Several people I know look quite round but are in excellent shape, as far as cardio, strength, and endurance.

I am a BIG guy... I look like I couldn't walk across the room... but I average 25 miles a day on the bicycle when the weather is decent, and ride an hour a day at least on the trainer when it is bad.

The difference is, most guys who are heavy like me and my age look like the veins in their legs are about to turn to lard... mine look... well... pretty darned good if I do say so myself.

Big does not always mean out of cardio shape... but in more cases than not it does.

BTW I wouldn't dive the doria in the shape I am in. No way. That dive is potentially too hard to screw around with, I would want to be a LOT more fit than I currently am to do that dive.

Since I get seasick in a boat on CALM water, the chances of me diving the doria are, ummm, zip.

Now I'm worried; I'm 36. Am I about to get fat? Seems like I've been trimming down these days. Is there something I don't know?

I've read elsewhere that from about 40 onward people tend to lose muscle mass, so if you don't engage in a fitness program, as the years go by, you'll likely lose some muscle, and that muscle helps burn fat.

In other words, if you don't make any lifestyle modifications at all, keep eating the same things in the same amounts as always, it's fairly likely your weight will insidiously creep up as the years go by.

That's not a guarantee, and you don't have to let it happen, but it is a risk.

Richard.

It is my impression that human fat is neither positively bouyant (as stated earlier) nor an effective insulator.

Fat IS positively buoyant.

It also slows cooling, if only by changing the surface area to volume ratio.

Back
Top Bottom