outlook of a sprout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hartl0602

Registered
Reaction score
Northern Illinois - round lake to be exact
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all; I just wanted to post my outlook on something. Now mind you I'm so new I'm not even green i'm a sprout, but it struck me when I saw this thread and my first reaction was to post, "Your not going to get any help here, everyone on here wears bp /w and of course those are so perfect they hang themselves. As for wetsuits probably not going to get any help there either as people around here catch a chill in water below 70 so they wear dry suits". Now is that really the opinion that you want a new diver to have; I think not.

Truth be told, when I went to the lds to buy my gear (I know I'm just a rebel, buying before trying, that's me, deal with it, Bought spit fins too OMG I'm going to drown :shocked2:), I asked about a bp /w and instead bought a nice back inflate bc (AL Balance, it's a good shop really, they seem to know their stuff, I have a good bs meter and it didn't beep once, and i've spent ALOT of time talking with them)now mind you they do sell Dive Rite bp/w just didn't buy one. Seeing as I enrolled in the Nat Geo Class (yep that's right PADI), I figured it would be a good thing to have my BC since there is an emphasis on buoyancy. While I was at it I put a computer (oceanic pro plus 2, shut up I liked it and I liked what I read about it), and an Aqualung Legend lx Supreme on lay-a-way, after all what I read said that I should buy the best regulator I can afford.

Also as stated above I purchased split fins (shudder I know) v-16s by oceanic, and Aqualung Teknika (sp?) (It looked cool and fit good). :dork2:

So from the looks of it, I'm going to drown and be so uncomfortable doing it. Damn!!!

I'm not sure if I had a point here, just sort of wanted to put this out there?now let's see how long it takes this post to burn to the ground. :popcorn:

p.s. now in saying all this i would like to point out that this place is a wealth of knowledge and i'd be lost without it, but this elitest view just keeps rearing it ugly little head.

Just keep the regulator in your mouth---naturally keep breathing, never hold your breath, watch your air supply---NEVER run out of gas--in a vehicle or UW--& watch other gauges ie time & depth, don't ascend too fast---& I bet you live to dive tomorrow........IMO, equipment is way over hyped----trust me on that one....good luck in your future UW endeavers.....

btw, I went to split fins about 2 years ago(after 900+ dives) & still living after 300 dives with them--------easy on the old legs IMO....even got my wife to get some(after trying mine), she likeys too.....

hartl0602, I really have no idea what you were trying to accomplish with this post, but congratulations on buying your own gear, because owning gear means you're much more likely to dive regularly, and diving regularly is what it's all about!

With regards to advice . . . I've learned something interesting in the last three and a half years. And that is that, when somebody who has done a LOT more diving than I have, in the kinds of environments where I dive, tells me something, that thing is generally worth taking a good look at. For example, the guy who told me very early on that he dove a few pounds overweighted to stay warm . . . I thought that sounded awful, but guess what I do today? You may someday look back at the advice you're resenting now and say, "Hey, those guys had some reason on their side." Or maybe not -- it doesn't matter, as long as you are diving.

Yep, there are definite some elitist and DIR advocates around you need to be wary of. My suggestion is that you get some dives in with the stuff you bought and see how you feel about it. I've tried a couple of about everything in the last three years and still am not sure that I have settled on some of it. When I'm on the boat going out to the reefs or wrecks I pay attention to other diver's gear and if I see something interesting I ask them about it.

I went to the thread you linked and didn't find any discussion of BP/W or drysuits there, so your point is kind of lost using that as an example.

I did find a cool tip on making you own suit hangers, though, just the kind of info a person could use.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...ow-do-you-guys-hang-your-bc-s-wetsuits-2.html
I made a wetsuit hanger by cutting a piece of pool "noodle" the length of a plactic hanger and cutting a slit down one side all the way into the middle hole

I also find TS and M's post to be right on the money. But everyone has their own learning curve.

...For example, the guy who told me very early on that he dove a few pounds overweighted to stay warm . . . I thought that sounded awful, but guess what I do today? ...
Guessing from this, it must work? How much is a few(1-3lbs)? Also, any idea how that works?

Hey all; I just wanted to post my outlook on something. Now mind you I'm so new I'm not even green i'm a sprout, but it struck me when I saw this thread and my first reaction was to post, "Your not going to get any help here, everyone on here wears bp /w and of course those are so perfect they hang themselves. As for wetsuits probably not going to get any help there either as people around here catch a chill in water below 70 so they wear dry suits". Now is that really the opinion that you want a new diver to have; I think not.

The BP cheering-squad members are generally people who think they've discovered the secrets of the universe, are very vocal about expressing their opinions. The rest of us don't really care what anybody uses, so we generally keep pretty quiet, which gives the impression that "everybody here thinks you should use a BP/W".

The reality is that any kind of BC is just a bag of air that compensates for wetsuit compression and allows you to become buoyant on the surface. The backpack portion or plate is just a place to put your tank.

In fact, you don't actually *need* the BC portion of either device unless you need to compensate for being overweighted, carry a lot of gas or want to become buoyant on the surface.

A BP/W is nice for doubles because jacket BCs tend to be a little soft when carrying close to (or over) 100Lbs. Other than that, use what makes you happy.

FWIW, I use split fins whether I'm diving my SP Classic+ or doubles and a BP/W because I have a little arthritis in my ankle and knee, and rigid fins just about cripple me. I'm still alive.

Do what makes you happy.

Terry

Guessing from this, it must work? How much is a few(1-3lbs)? Also, any idea how that works?

With a wetsuit? No idea.

With a drysuit

1. more weight=more air
  2. more air = fluffier underwear
  3. fluffier underwear = warmer diver
  4. more weight = warmer diver
Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom